Quantum physics phenomena that have spiral-phase portraits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a spiral sink in the phase portrait of a harmonic oscillator, and how it can be achieved in quantum field theory through the use of damped oscillators and open quantum systems. It is also mentioned that an imaginary mass can represent a decay rate, and that there is a relationship between damping and quantum measurement.
SeM
Hi, I was looking for a quantum physics phenomenon including in quantum field theory where the solutions of a related phase-plane system (i.e. the harmonic oscillator) have a spiral sink in the phase portrait?
The harmonic oscillator has saddle points in the phase-portrait, given its eigenvalue signs, however is there a phenomenon one can confirm has a spiral sink (attractor) and no singularities for its general solution form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular motion in the phase-plane corresponds to hamiltonian dynamics, radial motion corresponds with damping; ergo for a spiral you need both: a damped harmonic oscillator.

In quantum physics this means you 'll be looking for open quantum systems, like a leaking cavity.

Likes SeM
thephystudent said:
Angular motion in the phase-plane corresponds to hamiltonian dynamics, radial motion corresponds with damping; ergo for a spiral you need both: a damped harmonic oscillator.

In quantum physics this means you 'll be looking for open quantum systems, like a leaking cavity.

Thanks! That was an excellent outline.

Likes thephystudent
Make a harmonic oscillator where the mass of the oscillator has a small imaginary part: Im##(m)\neq 0##, and you get a spiral phase portrait with the cost that the Hamiltonian operator is not hermitian (and time evolution not unitary).

Likes SeM
Any quantum system described by Lindblad equations will be dissipative and has spiral trajectories.

Likes SeM
hilbert2 said:
Make a harmonic oscillator where the mass of the oscillator has a small imaginary part: Im##(m)\neq 0##, and you get a spiral phase portrait with the cost that the Hamiltonian operator is not hermitian (and time evolution not unitary).
and probability is not preserved. Thus this is not really good...

A. Neumaier said:
and probability is not preserved. Thus this is not really good...

Does it mean it is physically impossible?

SeM said:
Does it mean it is physically impossible?
Not if correctly interpreted.

It means that there is a positive rate that the system decays to something for which the description stops being applicable. For example, one can use it to model radioactive decay of a substance without taking into account the decay products.

Likes SeM
A. Neumaier said:
Not if correctly interpreted.

It means that there is a positive rate that the system decays to something for which the description stops being applicable. For example, one can use it to model radioactive decay of a substance without taking into account the decay products.
Is thati why physstudent put the imaginary part on the mass? Wouldn't it be better to put the imaginary part on the angular part to make some physical sense? I can't imagine what an imaginary mass means, unless we are talking about dark matter.

SeM said:
Is thati why physstudent put the imaginary part on the mass? Wouldn't it be better to put the imaginary part on the angular part to make some physical sense?
In general one can add to the Hermitian Hamiltonian ##-i## times another Hermitian and positive semidefinite term, called (for historical reasons) the optical potential. Of course, the concrete choice is dictated by the system intended to be modeled.
SeM said:
I can't imagine what an imaginary mass means, unless we are talking about dark matter.
An imaginary mass means a decay rate, as one can see by looking at the solution formula for a damped classical harmonic oscillator.

Likes SeM
A. Neumaier said:
In general one can add to the Hermitian Hamiltonian ##-i## times another Hermitian and positive semidefinite term, called (for historical reasons) the optical potential. Of course, the concrete choice is dictated by the system intended to be modeled.

An imaginary mass means a decay rate, as one can see by looking at the solution formula for a damped classical harmonic oscillator.
A. Neumaier said:

A. Neumaier said:

Thanks! I will look into the damped classical harmonic oscillator.

Thanks

As far as I know, a quantum measurement is a similar process where an initial state changes to an eigenstate of the measured observable as a result of interaction with many degrees of freedom (of the measuring device), and information of the initial state is lost irreversibly. The difference to simple damping is that the final state after measurement does not have to be the ground state.

Likes SeM
Thanks Hilbert2. That was also very useful.

hilbert2 said:
As far as I know, a quantum measurement is a similar process where an initial state changes to an eigenstate of the measured observable as a result of interaction with many degrees of freedom (of the measuring device), and information of the initial state is lost irreversibly. The difference to simple damping is that the final state after measurement does not have to be the ground state.

Well, if I am not mistaken A. Neumaier was hinting at the quantum trajectory method, where there is a decaying norm complemented by discrete random 'jumps'. In effect, its common interpretation is a sampling of the Lindblad equation through continuous weak measurements.
Just to say that there is some deep relationship between damping and measurement.

Likes hilbert2
thephystudent said:
Just to say that there is some deep relationship between damping and measurement.

Agreed.

Likes thephystudent

1. What is a spiral-phase portrait in quantum physics?

A spiral-phase portrait in quantum physics refers to a graphical representation of the phase of a quantum state as it evolves over time. It shows the amplitude and phase of the quantum state at each point in time, and can reveal patterns or trends in the behavior of the system.

2. How are spiral-phase portraits useful in quantum physics research?

Spiral-phase portraits are useful in quantum physics research because they provide a visual representation of the complex mathematical equations and concepts involved in quantum mechanics. They can help researchers identify patterns and relationships in quantum systems, and make predictions about the behavior of these systems.

3. Can spiral-phase portraits help us understand quantum entanglement?

Yes, spiral-phase portraits can give insight into the phenomenon of quantum entanglement. By examining the phase relationships between entangled particles, researchers can better understand how these particles are connected and how they behave in relation to each other.

4. How are spiral-phase portraits different from other types of phase portraits?

Spiral-phase portraits are specifically used in quantum physics, while other types of phase portraits may be used in other scientific fields. Additionally, spiral-phase portraits are unique in that they can represent the complex and unpredictable behavior of quantum systems, whereas other types of phase portraits are typically used to analyze more stable and predictable systems.

5. Can spiral-phase portraits be applied to real-world technologies?

Yes, spiral-phase portraits have practical applications in the development of quantum technologies. For example, they can be used to optimize and control the behavior of quantum systems in quantum computing, communication, and sensing devices.