Quantum state of system after measurement

In summary: For example, if $\phi_1=\beta_1$, $\phi_2=\beta_2$, then $\psi_1=(\phi_1+2\phi_2)/\sqrt{5}$, $\psi_2=(2\phi_1-\phi_2)/\sqrt{5}$.
andrewtz98
> Operator $$\hat{A}$$ has two normalized eigenstates $$\psi_1,\psi_2$$ with
> eigenvalues $$\alpha_1,\alpha_2$$. Operator $$\hat{B}$$ has also two
> normalized eigenstates $$\phi_1,\phi_2$$ with eigenvalues
> $$\beta_1,\beta_2$$. Eigenstates satisfy:

> $$\psi_1=(\phi_1+2\phi_2)/\sqrt{5}$$
> $$\psi_2=(2\phi_1-\phi_2)/\sqrt{5}$$
>
> We measure the quantity $$A$$ and we get the value $$\alpha_1$$. What's
> the state of the system after the measurement?
>
> What are the possible outcomes after the measurement of the quantity
> $$B$$? What is the probability of getting each one of them?To begin with, I assume that, since the eigenfunction corresponding to the measured eigenvalue is $\psi_1$, this is also the state of the system after the measurement.

As for the possible outcomes of the measurement of $B$, I'm thinking of expressing $\psi_1,\psi_2$ as functions of $\phi_1,\phi_2$ and using them as eigenstates of $B$. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.
andrewtz98 said:
To begin with, I assume that, since the eigenfunction corresponding to the measured eigenvalue is $\psi_1$, this is also the state of the system after the measurement.
Right.
andrewtz98 said:
As for the possible outcomes of the measurement of $B$, I'm thinking of expressing $\psi_1,\psi_2$ as functions of $\phi_1,\phi_2$ and using them as eigenstates of $B$.
Why that direction? While possible, I don't think it is necessary.

By the way: You can make inline LaTeX with double #.

Sorry about the wrong syntax. After reexamining it, I see that the only possible outcomes after the measurement of ##B## is either ##\beta_1## or ##\beta_2##, but how are the given expressions useful for the calculation of the probability of getting each state?

andrewtz98 said:
Sorry about the wrong syntax. After reexamining it, I see that the only possible outcomes after the measurement of ##B## is either ##\beta_1## or ##\beta_2##, but how are the given expressions useful for the calculation of the probability of getting each state?
andrewtz98 said:
You know the wave function after the measurement of A, you just need to express it in terms of the eigenstates of B.

What is the "quantum state of a system"?

The quantum state of a system refers to the complete description of a physical system in the framework of quantum mechanics. It includes all the properties and characteristics of the system, such as its position, momentum, and energy.

What is "measurement" in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, measurement refers to the act of observing a physical quantity of a system in order to obtain information about its state. This process often involves interacting with the system, which can cause its quantum state to change.

What happens to the quantum state of a system after measurement?

After measurement, the quantum state of a system changes to a specific state that corresponds to the observed value. This process is known as wavefunction collapse, and it is one of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

What is meant by "superposition of states" in the context of quantum measurement?

Superposition of states refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that before measurement, the system can be in a combination of different states, and the outcome of measurement is determined by the probabilities of these states.

Why is the concept of "quantum state after measurement" important in quantum mechanics?

The concept of quantum state after measurement is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in many applications of quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.