Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy to Bohr Model

In summary, to develop a quantum theory of Earth satellites, one must use the Sommerfeld-Wilson quantization condition on the angular momentum of the satellite. This will result in a large quantum number (n) and very close quantized orbits that are difficult to distinguish. The Rydberg constant cannot be used in this case as it is specific to the potential energy in an atom. Instead, the gravitational potential must be used and its derivation from the potential energy can be seen in the derivation of the Rydberg constant.
Rapier
Problem:
In analogy to the Bohr Theory of the hydrogen atom, develop a quantum theory of Earth satellites, obtaining expressions for the orbit radius (r) and the energy (E) in terms of the quantum number (n) and the other relevant parameters. A satellite of mass 1000 kg is in a circular orbit of radius 7000 km, to what value of n does this correspond?

Equations and Constants:
Bohr Model: E = -R*h/n^2
E = 1/2 * m * r^2 * ω*2
ω = v/r
v^2 = G*M/r
R = 1.0973 x 10^7 m^-1
h = 6.626x10^34 kg*m^2/s
M = 5.972x10^24 kg
G = 6.674x10^-11 m^3/(kg*s^2)

Attempt:
E = -R*h/n^2
1/2 * m * r^2 * ω*2 = -Rh/n^2
r^2 = -2*R*h/(n^2 * ω^2 * m)
r^2 = -2*R*h*r^3/(n^2 * G* M * m)
1/r = -2*R*h/(n^2 * G* M * m)
r = (n^2 * G* M * m) / (-2*R*h)

Just by parsing the units I know I've taken a wrong turn. I've tried multiple times and I appear to be missing a velocity term somewhere with the (-2*R*h). I think I'm missing something simple, I just don't see it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rapier said:
E = -R*h/n^2
If R is the Rydberg constant: the potential of Earth is not the same as the one of an electron in an atom.

Edit: I moved the thread to the homework section.

Last edited:
It's probably simpler in this case to use the Sommerfeld-Wilson quantization condition on the angular momentum of the satellite. You will find that since ##h## is so small compared to the other scales of the problem that the quantum number is huge and different quantized orbits are so close together as to be beyond distinguishing within the precision of the measurements that we could make.

mfb said:
If R is the Rydberg constant: the potential of Earth is not the same as the one of an electron in an atom.

Edit: I moved the thread to the homework section.

I'm not sure what to use for R then because my definition of R includes the mass of an electron and the charge. I can see replacing the mass of an electron with the mass of my satellite, but then what do I do with the charge? I tried to analyse the units to come up with a value but I got nothing that made any sense.

Oh, and thanks for moving it! :)

fzero said:
It's probably simpler in this case to use the Sommerfeld-Wilson quantization condition on the angular momentum of the satellite. You will find that since ##h## is so small compared to the other scales of the problem that the quantum number is huge and different quantized orbits are so close together as to be beyond distinguishing within the precision of the measurements that we could make.

Oh, that does look more promising. Let me give it a stab.

Rapier said:
I'm not sure what to use for R then because my definition of R includes the mass of an electron and the charge. I can see replacing the mass of an electron with the mass of my satellite, but then what do I do with the charge? I tried to analyse the units to come up with a value but I got nothing that made any sense.

Oh, and thanks for moving it! :)
You cannot use the Rydberg constant - it is specific to the electromagnetism problem in an atom. You can see how it is derived based on the potential energy, however, and use this with the gravitational potential instead.

1. What is the Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy to Bohr Model?

The Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy to Bohr Model is a scientific concept that compares the behavior of electrons in an atom to the motion of a satellite orbiting the Earth. It suggests that electrons, like satellites, have specific energy levels and can only exist in certain orbits around the nucleus.

2. How does this theory relate to the Bohr Model of the atom?

The Bohr Model of the atom was one of the first models to explain the structure of an atom, proposing that electrons orbit the nucleus in circular paths. The Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy expands on this idea by suggesting that these orbits are similar to the orbits of satellites around a central body.

3. What are the main differences between the Bohr Model and the Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy?

While the Bohr Model only accounted for circular orbits of electrons, the Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy suggests that electrons can also exist in elliptical and other non-circular orbits. Additionally, the Bohr Model did not account for the wave-like behavior of electrons, while the Quantum Theory does.

4. How does this theory apply to other elements besides hydrogen?

The Quantum Theory of Earth Satellite Analogy can be applied to all elements, as it is a fundamental concept of quantum mechanics. However, the specific energy levels and orbits will vary for different elements due to their unique atomic structures.

5. What implications does this theory have for our understanding of the universe?

This theory challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and suggests that the behavior of particles cannot always be accurately described by classical physics. It also highlights the interconnectedness of all matter and the importance of energy levels in determining the behavior of particles.