Solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine: Nonnegativeness Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine and the attempt to use an orthonormal basis to represent a 2x2 state operator. The conversation also explores the use of eigenvalues to solve the problem and why the method does not work for higher dimensional matrices. The main point is that for dim##V > 2,## there could be one or more negative eigenvalues, which violates Ballentine's equation (2.12).
EE18
Misplaced Homework Thread
I am trying to solve Problem 2.4 in Ballentine:
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 10.41.08 AM.png

I note in my attempt below to what (2.6) and (2.7) refer.

My attempt thus far is as follows:
A ##2 \times 2## state operator can be represented in a particular orthonormal ##\beta = \{\phi_i\}## as below, where we have enforced trace normalization (2.6) and self-adjointness (2.7) (and have yet to enforce nonnegativeness),
$$[\rho]_{\beta} = \begin{bmatrix}
a & b \\
b^* & (1-a)
\end{bmatrix}$$
Now enforcing ##Tr{\rho^2}## and using the basis independence of the trace we obtain
$$Tr{\rho^2} = Tr{[\rho]_{\beta}^2} = Tr{ \begin{bmatrix}
a & b \\
b^* & (1-a)
\end{bmatrix}^2} = a^2 +2|b|^2+ (1-a)^2 \leq 1$$
with ##a \in \mathbb{R}##.

Now for an arbitrary ##u## in our space we may expand ##u = \sum_i c_i {\phi_i}## so we can immediately compute
$$(u,\rho u) = \begin{bmatrix}
c_1^* & c_2^*
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
a & b \\
b^* & (1-a)
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
c_1 \\ c_2
\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}
c_1^* & c_2^*
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
ac_1 + bc_2 \\ b^*c_1+(1-a)c_2 \end{bmatrix}$$
$$=c_1^*(ac_1 + bc_2)+ c_2^*(b^*c_1+(1-a)c_2) = |{c_1}|^2a +2\textrm{Re}(c_1^*c_2b) + (1-a)^2|{c_2}|^2$$
but I can't seem to see how to go further here. It seems like I have to use my aforementioned inequality but I can't see how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For this type of problem, it's often more efficient to work with the eigenvalues directly, rather than a generic matrix. For this problem, we are given that:
$$Tr(\rho^2) ~\le 1 ~,~~~~ Tr(\rho) ~=~ 1 ~,~~~~ \rho = \rho^\dagger ~.$$For the 2D case, there are 2 eigenvalues, ##\rho_1## and ##\rho_2##, say, hence the eigenvalues of ##\rho^2## are the squares of these.

Self-adjointness of ##\rho## implies both the ##\rho_i## are real, hence ##\,\rho_i^2 \ge 0##.

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its eigenvalues, so we have 2 conditions:
$$\rho_1 + \rho_2 ~=~ 1 ~,~~~~ \rho^2_1 + \rho^2_2 ~\le~ 1 ~.$$Squaring the 1st equation gives $$\rho_1^2 + \rho_2^2 + 2 \rho_1 \rho_2 ~=~ 1 ~,$$and using this in conjunction with the 2nd equation implies... what?

I leave it to you to figure out the rest of the proof, including the follow-on of why it doesn't work for higher dimensional matrices. :oldbiggrin:

Likes DrClaude, vanhees71 and EE18
strangerep said:
For this type of problem, it's often more efficient to work with the eigenvalues directly, rather than a generic matrix. For this problem, we are given that:
$$Tr(\rho^2) ~\le 1 ~,~~~~ Tr(\rho) ~=~ 1 ~,~~~~ \rho = \rho^\dagger ~.$$For the 2D case, there are 2 eigenvalues, ##\rho_1## and ##\rho_2##, say, hence the eigenvalues of ##\rho^2## are the squares of these.

Self-adjointness of ##\rho## implies both the ##\rho_i## are real, hence ##\,\rho_i^2 \ge 0##.

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its eigenvalues, so we have 2 conditions:
$$\rho_1 + \rho_2 ~=~ 1 ~,~~~~ \rho^2_1 + \rho^2_2 ~\le~ 1 ~.$$Squaring the 1st equation gives $$\rho_1^2 + \rho_2^2 + 2 \rho_1 \rho_2 ~=~ 1 ~,$$and using this in conjunction with the 2nd equation implies... what?

I leave it to you to figure out the rest of the proof, including the follow-on of why it doesn't work for higher dimensional matrices. :oldbiggrin:
Thank you so much for the detailed response. If possible, I came up with a demonstration of why it doesn't work for ##\dim V > 2## but it's really ugly:

In the case of 3 or more dimensions (for arbitrary dimension consider a state operator with 3 nonzero eigenvalues) we see that we can follow the proof up to the point ##Tr{\rho^2} = \rho_1^2+ \rho_2^2 + \rho_3^2 \leq 1 = \rho_1^2+ \rho_2^2 \rho_3^2 +2\rho_1 \rho_2 +2\rho_1 \rho_3 +2\rho_3 \rho_2## which implies ##\rho_1 \rho_2 +\rho_1 \rho_3 +\rho_3 \rho_2 \geq 0##. We can imagine obeying this constraint with one negative eigenvalue and two positive eigenvalues such that the positive eigenvalues "outweigh" the negative. Consider ##\rho_1 = \rho_2 -1/10 = 1/2## and ##\rho_3 = -1/10##. Then we have ##\rho_1 \rho_2 +\rho_1 \rho_3 +\rho_3 \rho_2 \geq 0## and ##Tr{\rho} = 1##. If we then take the eigenvector corresponding to that negative eigenvalue we see that the expectation value is negative.

Would you be able to suggest a nicer proof? Thank you again!

You only need to recognize that, for dim##V > 2,## there could be 1 or more negative eigenvalues while still satisfying the input constraints. That alone is enough to violate Ballentine's eq(2.12), i.e., that ##\rho_n \ge 0## for all ##n##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Problem 2.4 in Ballentine and why is it important?

Problem 2.4 in Ballentine is a mathematical problem that involves deriving the nonnegativeness condition for a quantum mechanical wave function. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how they apply to physical systems.

2. How do you approach solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine?

The best approach to solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine is to first understand the concept of nonnegativeness in quantum mechanics and the mathematical tools involved, such as complex numbers and operators. Then, carefully follow the steps outlined in the problem and use logical reasoning to arrive at the solution.

3. What are some common challenges when solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine?

Some common challenges when solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine include understanding the mathematical concepts involved, such as complex numbers and operators, and applying them correctly. Another challenge may be identifying and interpreting the physical significance of the solution.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine?

One helpful tip for solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This can help make the problem less overwhelming and easier to approach. It is also important to carefully check each step and ensure that the mathematical operations are correct.

5. How can solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine benefit scientific research?

Solving Problem 2.4 in Ballentine can benefit scientific research by providing a deeper understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics, which can then be applied to various physical systems and phenomena. It can also lead to the development of new theories and techniques in quantum mechanics, which can have practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine.