Quantum well, time evolution of probabilities

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the probability of an electron being in a specific interval at a given time in a quantum well system. The wavefunction at time t=0 is given as a superposition of two stationary states with energies E1 and E2. The correct unit for the wavefunction is m^-0.5. After performing calculations, the probability was found to be 0.076.
frerk
hey,
this thread might be a bit longer, but I have already calculated everything and I am quiet sure that it is right :)
Just need someone who confirms me or not :)

1. Homework Statement

Time evolution of probabilities. An electron inside a quantum well of length L is at time t = 0 in the state
[tex] \psi(x,0) =\frac{1}{ \sqrt{L} } ( \sin( \frac{\pi x}{ L} ) + \sin( \frac{2 \pi x}{L} )) [/tex]

Outside the well [tex] \psi(x,0) = 0. [/tex] The state [tex] \psi(x,0) [/tex] is thus a superposition of two stationary states[tex] \psi_{1}(x) \ and \ \psi_{2}(x) [/tex] with the energies [tex] E_{1} = \frac { \pi^2\hbar^2 }{2mL^2} \ and \ E_{2} = 4 E_{1} [/tex]

Calculate the porbability that the electron is in the interval (0, L/2) at the time [tex] t = \pi \hbar / E_{1} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, that is the homework, now I show you how i get a result:

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \psi(x,0) e^{-iHt/\hbar} [ \psi_1(x,0) + \psi_2(x,0) ] e^{-iHt/\hbar} =\psi_1(x,0)e^{-iE_1 t/\hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)e^{-iE_2 t/\hbar } [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow | \psi(x,t)|^2 = |\psi_1(x,0)e^{-iE_1 t/\hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)e^{-iE_2 t/\hbar }|^2 [/tex]
[tex] = | \psi_1(x,0)|^2 + |\psi_2(x,0)|^2 + \psi_1(x,0)^* \psi_2(x,0) e^{i(E_1 - E_2) t / \hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)^* \psi_1(x,0) e^{i ( E_2 -E_1) t / \hbar} [/tex]
Now we put this into the integral:
[tex]
\int_0^b \! | \psi(x,t)|^2 \, d x [/tex] where b = L/2 and we geht the result
[tex] 0,5 + \frac{2}{3\pi} e^{i(E_1 E_2)t/\hbar} + \frac{2}{3\pi} e^{-i(E_1 E_2)t/\hbar} [/tex]
Now I insert: [tex] t = \pi\hbar/E_1 = \pi \hbar 2mL^2 / \pi^2 \hbar^2 = 2mL^2/(\pi\hbar) [/tex]
[tex] E_1 = \pi^2\hbar^2 / (2mL^2) [/tex]
[tex] E_2 = 4E_1 = 2\pi^2 \hbar^2 / (mL^2) [/tex]

And after doing that, we find out that the probability that the electron in in the interval (0,L/2) for the specific time is 0,076.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the wavefunction at ##t=0## what you are already given? It has an incorrect unit, for 1D system like this the unit of the wavefunction should be ##m^{-0.5}##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Is the wavefunction at ##t=0## what you are already given? It has an incorrect unit, for 1D system like this the unit of the wavefunction should be ##m^{-0.5}##.

Yes it is already given. I forgot the root over the "L". Sorry for that, i corrected it.

1. What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a structure that is created by sandwiching a thin layer of one material between two layers of another material. This creates a potential energy barrier that confines particles, such as electrons, to a certain region within the well.

2. How does time evolution of probabilities relate to quantum wells?

The time evolution of probabilities refers to the changing distribution of probabilities for a particle's position over time. In a quantum well, the confined particles have discrete energy levels and their probabilities of occupying these levels change over time due to the wave-like nature of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the importance of studying the time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells?

Studying the time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells is important for understanding the behavior of confined particles in these structures. It can also provide insight into the properties and potential applications of quantum wells, such as in optoelectronic devices.

4. How is the time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells mathematically described?

The time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a partial differential equation that relates the probability distribution of a particle to its energy and the potential energy barrier of the well.

5. Can the time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells be observed experimentally?

Yes, the time evolution of probabilities in quantum wells can be observed experimentally through techniques such as time-resolved spectroscopy. This involves exciting the confined particles and measuring the changes in their probability distribution over time.