Quark-Gluon Plasma: Temperature, Validity & Quantum Theories

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary: The approximation of the integral by the sum of a large number of small contributions is called the Monte Carlo method.In summary, at CERN they've achieved a temperature of 5.5 trillion degrees Kelvin. This is a plasma state, and up to this point QCD has been considered valid for plasmas.
SW VandeCarr
Quark-gluon "plasma"

I understand that recently an estimated temperature of 5.5 trillion K was achieved at CERN. The phase state is described as a frictionless liquid. Is it still a plasma since the term continues to be used?

Also, up to what temperature is QCD considered valid?

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/08/hot-stuff-cern-physicists-create-record-breaking-subatomic-soup.html

EDIT: It seems QCD breaks down at 2 trillion K. Are there any quantum theories that are valid for quark-gluon plasmas if in fact they are true plasmas?.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it's definitely a plasma.

QCD is valid at all temperatures, as far as I know. You can unify the strong interaction with the eletromagnetic and weak forces at high enough energies, but QCD should still be "valid"

soothsayer said:
Yes, it's definitely a plasma.

QCD is valid at all temperatures, as far as I know. You can unify the strong interaction with the eletromagnetic and weak forces at high enough energies, but QCD should still be "valid"

OK. Thanks for the response. But I added an edit to my first post because of this:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2011/jun/23/quarks-break-free-at-two-trillion-degrees

I guess Lattice QCD is still QCD.

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
I understand that recently an estimated temperature of 5.5 trillion K was achieved at CERN. The phase state is described as a frictionless liquid.

It isn't really frictionless, I think. Close enough for jazz though

Yes.Lattice is a numerical algorithm of QCD.

SW VandeCarr said:
I guess Lattice QCD is still QCD.
Lattice QCD is a rigorous reformulation of the QCD equations tuned for lattice calculations and Monte Carlo simulations. It is an approach that allows us for non-perturbative calculations, i.e. investigation of regimes where bound states dominate and where the coupling is large.

From a QCD perspective QCD remains valid at all energies, but there are other forces which will become stronger at higher energies and which may be unified with QCD; but this is outside the QCD scope.

tom.stoer said:
Lattice QCD is a rigorous reformulation of the QCD equations tuned for lattice calculations and Monte Carlo simulations. It is an approach that allows us for non-perturbative calculations, i.e. investigation of regimes where bound states dominate and where the coupling is large.
I'm familiar with the Monte Carlo method. For example, in Monte Carlo integration one has an intractable integral: [itex] I = \int_a^{b} f(x) dx [/itex] which is approximated by:

[itex] \hat I = \frac{b-a}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_{i}) [/itex] where [itex] x_i [/itex] are independent observations from a uniform distribution on the interval (a,b).

I'll try to figure out exactly what a, b, and n are in this context on my own and leave the functions undefined. I'll come back if I get stuck. Thanks

Last edited:

In lattice QCD the integral to be evaluated is a so-called path integral

Question 1:

What is quark-gluon plasma?

Quark-gluon plasma (QGP) is a state of matter that is believed to exist at extremely high temperatures and densities. It is a type of hot, dense soup of particles that are normally confined within protons and neutrons, but are freed at these extreme conditions.

Question 2:

What is the temperature of quark-gluon plasma?

The temperature of QGP is estimated to be around 2 trillion degrees Celsius, which is about 100,000 times hotter than the core of the sun. This extreme temperature is necessary to break apart the bonds between quarks and gluons, creating the plasma state.

Question 3:

How is the validity of quark-gluon plasma determined?

The validity of QGP is determined through experiments, particularly by colliding heavy ions at high energies. The observations of particle behavior and the consistency with theoretical predictions provide evidence for the existence of QGP.

Question 4:

What are the quantum theories associated with quark-gluon plasma?

Some of the quantum theories associated with QGP include quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and the lattice gauge theory. These theories help to explain the behavior and properties of QGP, and are used to make predictions for experiments.

Question 5:

What are the potential applications of quark-gluon plasma research?

The study of QGP has potential applications in understanding the early universe, as it is believed that QGP existed in the first few microseconds after the Big Bang. It also has applications in nuclear physics and may help to create new materials with unique properties.