Quarks in a Mole: Hydrogen, Plutonium & the Periodic Chart

• I
  • Thread starter PhilipQuark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole Quarks
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of quarks in elements and where they can be found on the periodic chart. It is explained that all elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are made up of only up and down quarks. However, other quarks can be created in high energy collisions and decay into other particles. The conversation ends with a mention of the top quark decay.
PhilipQuark
Quarks in a Mole
If I have one mole of hydrogen, I only have Up and Down Quarks, right?
If I have one mole of Plutonium, I should have all the Quarks, right?
Where on the Periodic Chart do all the Quarks start showing up?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhilipQuark said:
Where on the Periodic Chart do all the Quarks start showing up?

Nowhere. All elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of only up and down quarks.

Likes atyy
in one Mole of hydrogen would you find all Quarks?:up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom

No. All elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of only up and down quarks.

Likes atyy
So, therein lies my confusion, with only protons and neutrons there should only be up, and down, so where do the other quarks hide? this is something that's been on my mind for a long time and my College Physics Professor could not answer. (I II)

PhilipQuark said:
So, therein lies my confusion, with only protons and neutrons there should only be up, and down, so where do the other quarks hide? this is something that's been on my mind for a long time and my College Physics Professor could not answer. (I II)
Other quarks appear in unstable baryons created in various high energy colliders.
PhilipQuark said:
Other quarks appear in unstable hadrons created in various high energy colliders.

so, the energy of a collision creates the other Quarks. do they decay? and what do they decay into?

Likes atyy
Vanadium 50 said:
No. All elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of only up and down quarks.

That was post 20,000. (Half as many as Doc Al or Berkeman)

Likes atyy
PhilipQuark said:
so, the energy of a collision creates the other Quarks. do they decay? and what do they decay into?

Yes, the energy of a collision creates other quarks, which decay. For example, the top quark decay is described here: http://particleadventure.org/top_pro.html.

1. What are quarks and how are they related to the Periodic Chart?

Quarks are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. The Periodic Chart is a visual representation of all known elements, and quarks play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of these elements.

2. How does hydrogen differ from plutonium on the Periodic Chart?

Hydrogen is the first element on the Periodic Chart and has only one proton in its nucleus, while plutonium is a much heavier element with 94 protons. This difference in the number of protons gives hydrogen and plutonium distinct chemical and physical properties.

3. Can quarks be found in isolation in a mole of any element?

No, quarks are always found in combination with other quarks to form protons and neutrons. A mole is a unit of measurement that contains a specific number of particles, and within a mole of any element, quarks are always found within protons and neutrons.

4. How do quarks contribute to the stability of atoms?

The number and arrangement of quarks within protons and neutrons play a crucial role in determining the stability of an atom. The strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus together, is mediated by quarks and their interactions. Without quarks, atoms would not be able to exist in their current stable form.

5. Are there any elements that do not contain quarks?

No, all known elements on the Periodic Chart contain quarks in their atomic nuclei. Even elements with very few protons, such as hydrogen, still contain quarks within their single proton. Quarks are a fundamental building block of matter and are present in all known particles and atoms.