Queries on some QM concepts

In summary: No, the certainty with which we can know a particle's momentum is not determined by the spread of ##k## in the Fourier transform term in the wave-packet equation. It is rather determined by the uncertainty principle.
WWCY
Hi all, I'd like some assistance regarding some issues I have understanding such states. (Referencing Griffiths' QM)

1) Meaning of Bound and Scattering States.

The bound states I have studied thus far are limited to the infinite square well and the quantum harmonic oscillator. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, a particle is able to "leak" out of its potential well.

a) Would I be right in saying that even bound states can experience this "leaking" into classically forbidden zones (finite potentials only), but is limited to the vicinity of its "well"?

b) On the other hand, is it right to say that a scattering state can not only be found in classically forbidden zones, but is itself a also traveling wave (unlike the bound state)? I.e it is not bound by any sort of "well" and is free to move about

2) Delta-function potential.

If we were to work out the (bound-state) wave-function for a potential ##-\alpha \delta (x)##, this would yield a wave-function peaked at x = 0. However, there is a non-zero probability that we can find said particle outside the delta-function well.

a) Is this infinitely deep well not analogous to an infinite square well, except that its depth is from 0 to ##-\infty## rather than 0 to ##\infty##? Why would we still expect that the particle can be found outside of the vicinity of x = 0?

b) Is the Delta-function potential considered to be an even, or odd function? Scouring the internet seems to bring up conflicting opinions.

3) Even potentials and their solutions.

a) It was stated in the book that an even potential gives rise to either even or odd solutions to the Schrodinger equation. Say I obtain the even and odd solutions seperately, in some domain of x. Do I then sum the even and odd solutions in their respective domains to get the actual wavefunction? I.e is the actual wavefunction for an even potential a sum of even and odd solutions?

Thanks very much in advance!

PS: Would it be possible to discuss these in a not-so-technical manner for now?

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
a) Would I be right in saying that even bound states can experience this "leaking" into classically forbidden zones (finite potentials only), but is limited to the vicinity of its "well"?
Yes, unless the well is of infinite height. However, even for infinitely growing potential like harmonic oscillator potential, the eigenfunctions have nonzero portion in the forbidden region.

WWCY said:
b) On the other hand, is it right to say that a scattering state can not only be found in classically forbidden zones, but is itself a also traveling wave (unlike the bound state)? I.e it is not bound by any sort of "well" and is free to move about
For scattering state, the classically forbidden region is not applicable since the energy of such state must always be more positive than the potential anywhere. Generally speaking, scattering state is an energy eigenfunction in the continuum spectrum and has nonzero probability current, i.e. it's traveling. This type of eigenfunction is an approximate eigenfunction of momentum, i.e. it has an almost definite momentum. But sometimes the term scattering state is also used to refer to an energy eigenfunction in the continuum but has its probability current vanishing. Usually in this case, the eigenfunction is also an eigenfunction of total angular momentum. On the other hand, its momentum distribution has a large uncertainty.

WWCY said:
a) It was stated in the book that an even potential gives rise to either even or odd solutions to the Schrodinger equation. Say I obtain the even and odd solutions seperately, in some domain of x. Do I then sum the even and odd solutions in their respective domains to get the actual wavefunction? I.e is the actual wavefunction for an even potential a sum of even and odd solutions?
No, the even and odd solutions are the eigenfunctions of an even potential separately. A wavefunction formed by a sum of even and odd solutions is no longer an energy eigenfunction since it does not have a definite parity/even(odd)ness.

Hi, thanks for the response!

blue_leaf77 said:
For scattering state, the classically forbidden region is not applicable since the energy of such state must always be more positive than the potential anywhere. Generally speaking, scattering state is an energy eigenfunction in the continuum spectrum and has nonzero probability current, i.e. it's traveling. This type of eigenfunction is an approximate eigenfunction of momentum, i.e. it has an almost definite momentum.

Is this in reference to the wave-packet equation for the free particle? Also, how do we tell if momentum is almost definite? The text seems to suggest that the certainty with which we can know a particle's momentum is determined by the spread of ##k## in the Fourier transform term in the wave-packet equation.

WWCY said:
Is this in reference to the wave-packet equation for the free particle?
No, it applies to general (real) potential.

WWCY said:
Also, how do we tell if momentum is almost definite? The text seems to suggest that the certainty with which we can know a particle's momentum is determined by the spread of kk in the Fourier transform term in the wave-packet equation.
Yes, as your text suggests, a state with almost definite momentum has a narrow width of the Fourier transform of the wavefunction in position space.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles move, interact, and behave in energy and matter.

2. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality, and quantum tunneling. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement is the phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Wave-particle duality refers to the idea that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. Quantum tunneling is the ability of particles to pass through energy barriers that would be impossible according to classical physics.

3. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton, while quantum mechanics is based on the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Classical mechanics can accurately predict the behavior of large objects, while quantum mechanics is necessary to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probabilistic behavior.

4. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of transistors and computer chips, lasers, MRI machines, and atomic clocks. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as nanotechnology, cryptography, and quantum computing.

5. How does quantum mechanics relate to other branches of science?

Quantum mechanics has connections to many other branches of science, including chemistry, biology, and astronomy. It provides a fundamental understanding of how atoms and molecules interact, which is essential in understanding chemical reactions and biological processes. It also helps explain the behavior of particles in the cosmos, such as black holes and the origin of the universe.