Question about a physical entity (dimensional analysis)

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand the concept of mass or massdensity divided by speedquadrat, and whether it has any practical applications. The participants also discuss the idea of using this quantity as a figure of merit for deceleration and the lack of references for it. The conversation ends with one person stating they have found an answer but cannot share it due to forum rules.
simplemind
TL;DR Summary
i try to understand what physical entity mass or massdensity divided by speedquadrat could be?
Any ideas?
thanks
i try to understand what physical entity mass or massdensity divided by speedquadrat could be?
Any ideas?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
simplemind said:
TL;DR Summary: i try to understand what physical entity mass or massdensity divided by speedquadrat could be?
Any ideas?
thanks

Any ideas?
thanks
Massdensity per speedquadrat. What else?

Likes Vanadium 50, Ibix and topsquark
I've no clue, what such a quantity would be good for. Do you have a reference, where it is used?

Likes Ibix and topsquark
simplemind said:
For a given projectile shape (fixed cross section and coefficient of drag), mass divided by the square of speed would be a good figure of merit for the decelleration of a bullet.

Higher numbers mean higher effective inertia against air resistance. It is inversely proportional to the decelleration.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
kuruman said:
Massdensity per speedquadrat. What else?
and meters per seconds is meters per seconds. what else :-)

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
vanhees71 said:
I've no clue, what such a quantity would be good for. Do you have a reference, where it is used?

I have already found an answer.The Thread can be closed.
thanks to all.

And what is the answer?

Likes topsquark
I have no reference for it so i will not work against the rules.
But it satisfy me.
Thanks

Which rules? I think it's a good rule to provide the answer to a question for people who come later and read this thread!

An answer that you can't post lest it run afould of PF Rules is unlikely to be a very good answer.

Likes berkeman and vanhees71

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in science?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used in science to check the consistency of physical equations and to convert between different units of measurement. It is important because it allows scientists to identify and correct errors in their calculations and to ensure that their measurements are accurate and precise.

2. How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you must first identify the physical quantities involved in the problem and their corresponding units of measurement. Then, using conversion factors and the rules of algebra, you can manipulate the units to cancel out and leave you with the desired unit for your answer. It is important to keep track of the units throughout the calculation to ensure accuracy.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used in all fields of science?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is a fundamental tool for solving problems and verifying the validity of equations and measurements.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis?

One common mistake to avoid is using incorrect conversion factors or forgetting to convert between units. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the conversion, as some units may need to be multiplied or divided depending on the problem. Additionally, it is crucial to keep track of the units and make sure they cancel out correctly in the final answer.

5. How does dimensional analysis relate to the concept of units and dimensions?

Dimensional analysis is closely related to the concept of units and dimensions. Units are the labels used to measure physical quantities, while dimensions refer to the physical nature of the quantity being measured. Dimensional analysis allows us to check the dimensions of equations and ensure that they are consistent, which is essential for accurate and meaningful calculations in science.