Question about acetic acid buffer solutions

In summary, when dealing with buffers OH- is introduced and dissociates to give off H+. The cutoff for this is not clearly defined, but as long as the pH calculated is less than 1 (or even 2) pH units from pKa, you are usually safe.
mesa
Gold Member
I want to make sure I understand the relationship between OH- and COOH properly.

So if the NaOH is introduced into a buffer solution of acetic acid and it dissociates does the OH- (due to it's very electronegative nature) immediately rip off the H+ from the COOH? If I want to calculate pH do I just subtract the mols of NaOH from mols CH3COOH then calculate the pH from the remaining acetic acid (in molarity) and it's corresponding Ka (1.75X10^(-5))?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, when dealing with buffers you can assume neutralization went to completion (and was stoichiometric). In some specific cases that's not exactly true, but as long as the pH calculated is less than 1 (or even 2) pH units from pKa, you are usually on the safe side.

Borek said:
Yes, when dealing with buffers you can assume neutralization went to completion (and was stoichiometric). In some specific cases that's not exactly true, but as long as the pH calculated is less than 1 (or even 2) pH units from pKa, you are usually on the safe side.

Good deal, interesting stuff to think about.
So the cutoff for being able to do this is not clearly defined. It would be fun to play with one of the schools pH meters and explore this further. For what I am doing the difference is 1.82 pH units from pKa, within range for NaOH correct?

So for a weak base do we calculate mols OH- produced using it's corresponding Kb and subtract that from the calculated H+ mols then take the -log of the new molarity of H30+?

For not to concentrated buffers it is not difficult to test these things just by calculating pH of the solution, although I would not use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation but a full approach, compare http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=toc. Alternatively, you can use one of my pH calculators for calculations - either BATE or the one built in Buffer Maker (there are free 30-days trials).

1.82 pH unit from pKa for acetic acid - can work, although if you need it to buffer the solution I would look for another buffer. The closer to the pKa you are the more effective the buffer is (the higher is its buffering capacity).

That is a good website, interesting how it is not actually the molarity but the activity of the hydronium that is really changing the pH. No surprise that there is still a fairly strong correlation of course.

I like doing this kind of stuff pen to paper but your online calculators would be good to check if I am getting it right until I get more comfortable.

Very helpful.

1. What is an acetic acid buffer solution?

An acetic acid buffer solution is a mixture of acetic acid and its conjugate base, usually sodium acetate. It is used to maintain a stable pH level in a solution, even when small amounts of acid or base are added.

2. How does an acetic acid buffer solution work?

An acetic acid buffer solution works by utilizing the principles of Le Chatelier's principle. When a small amount of acid is added to the solution, the equilibrium shifts to produce more conjugate base, thus maintaining a stable pH. Similarly, when a small amount of base is added, the equilibrium shifts to produce more acetic acid.

3. What is the optimal pH range for an acetic acid buffer solution?

The optimal pH range for an acetic acid buffer solution is around 4.5-5.5. This is because acetic acid has a pKa of 4.76, meaning it is most effective at buffering within one pH unit above or below its pKa.

4. How do you prepare an acetic acid buffer solution?

To prepare an acetic acid buffer solution, you will need to mix together a specific amount of acetic acid (usually in the form of glacial acetic acid) and sodium acetate in water. The exact amounts will depend on the desired concentration and volume of the final solution. It is important to mix the components in the correct order and to adjust the pH if necessary.

5. What are some common uses for acetic acid buffer solutions?

Acetic acid buffer solutions are commonly used in biochemical and biological experiments, particularly in enzymatic reactions. They are also used in analytical chemistry for pH calibration and standardization. Additionally, they are used in the production of pharmaceuticals and in the food industry as a preservative and flavoring agent.