Question about angular contact bearing mounting

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific type of bearing and the presence of spacers in its mounting. The purpose of these spacers is questioned, as they do not appear to bear any force. Additionally, the conversation delves into the design of the bearing and how it is affected by external forces. The conversation ends with a general question about the use of spacers in this type of bearing.
Andrea Vironda
Hi,
In my memories there's the information that in a O shaped mounting, the bearings will work in diagonal (the forces will be transmitted following that path).
But in many drawings I can see the presence of a spacer between internal rings. Is it necessary since no force should be transmitted to it?
Screenshot_2020-11-11_095523_jaxkwu.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you call a spacer in this specific case?
This is an almost purely axial ball bearing.

There are 2 spacers: one between the 2 yellow marks (rotating) and the other just above, fixed.
I think the internal is useless since forces are exchanged in other points.

Andrea Vironda said:
I think the internal is useless since forces are exchanged in other points.
Are the spacers actually seals, to protect, and keep dirt out of the bearings?
What keeps the bearings concentric if there is an external side force?

This is an angular contact ball bearing designed for primarily thrust loads. In order for us to understand your question, we need to see more details of the mounting.

This is an angular contact ball bearing.
In the internal side there's a spring pushing to the left, and oil pressure pushing to the right. But the bearings to not bear load, in this case I don't know why they are angular and not straight. Maybe because the passage of the load is not smooth and there are some backlash.

My question was in general.
In any case the inner spacer is not providing any spacing to the bearings, since they are acting on the other diagonals

1. What is an angular contact bearing?

An angular contact bearing is a type of rolling-element bearing that is designed to handle both radial and axial loads. It is commonly used in applications where there is a combination of both types of loads, such as in machine tool spindles and automotive wheels.

2. How do you mount an angular contact bearing?

To mount an angular contact bearing, first clean the mounting surface and bearing thoroughly. Then, apply a thin layer of lubricant to the bearing and the mounting surface. Place the bearing onto the mounting surface and use a press or other suitable tool to apply even pressure to the outer ring of the bearing until it is fully seated. Finally, secure the bearing in place with the appropriate locking mechanism.

3. What is the proper preload for an angular contact bearing?

The proper preload for an angular contact bearing depends on the specific application and the manufacturer's recommendations. Generally, the preload should be enough to eliminate any clearance between the rolling elements and the raceways, but not so much that it causes excessive friction or premature wear.

4. How do you know if an angular contact bearing is properly mounted?

An angular contact bearing is properly mounted if it is securely attached to the mounting surface and there is no noticeable play or movement when the shaft is rotated. Additionally, the bearing should be able to handle the expected loads and operate smoothly without any abnormal noises or vibrations.

5. Can an angular contact bearing be re-used after being mounted?

In most cases, an angular contact bearing can be re-used after being mounted. However, it is important to carefully inspect the bearing for any signs of damage or wear before re-installing it. If any issues are found, it is recommended to replace the bearing to ensure proper functioning and prevent potential failures.