Question about changing magnetic flux

In summary, a 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 experiences an external magnetic field of 0.060 T directed out of the plane of the page, which decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds. Using the equation \Phi = N*B*A, the magnitude of the change in the external magnetic flux enclosed by the coil can be calculated by subtracting the initial flux from the final flux. This can be simplified to N*(0.06 T - 0.02 T)*A, or N*0.04 T*A.
Dany7777777

Homework Statement

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.
What is the magnitude of the change in the external magnetic flux enclosed by the coil?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex]m = A * B

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried solving for both values of magnetic flux at each time and finding their difference. However, I still seem to get it wrong. I don't know If I am missing something, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe it would just be the initial flux - the final flux...

the full equation you want is [itex]\Phi[/itex]= N*B*A*cos([itex]\phi[/itex])
(N = the number of turns of the coil)

however the direction of the area and the magnetic field are the same so cos(phi) = 1
just convert 8.5 cm2 to m2 which is 8.5 * 10-4

so... N(.06T)(A) - N(.02T)(A), just plug in your numbers...i believe this is right anyway, someone should check my work

Related to Question about changing magnetic flux

1. What is changing magnetic flux?

Changing magnetic flux refers to the change in the strength or direction of a magnetic field over time. This change can be caused by a moving magnet, a moving conductor, or a change in the current flowing through a conductor.

2. How is changing magnetic flux related to electromagnetic induction?

Changing magnetic flux is directly associated with electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating electricity by moving a conductor through a magnetic field. This movement causes a change in magnetic flux, which in turn induces a current in the conductor.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of changing magnetic flux?

The magnitude of changing magnetic flux depends on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed of the movement, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of movement. The material of the conductor and the shape of the magnetic field can also affect the magnitude of changing magnetic flux.

4. How is changing magnetic flux measured?

The unit of measurement for changing magnetic flux is called the weber (Wb). It is defined as the amount of magnetic flux that passes through a surface of one square meter at a rate of one tesla per second. This unit is commonly used in engineering and physics to quantify the strength of a magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of changing magnetic flux?

Changing magnetic flux has various practical applications, including power generation, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as magnetic sensors and magnetic levitation trains. Additionally, changing magnetic flux is essential in technologies such as wireless charging and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).