Question about coaxial digital to analog converters

In summary, the digital to analog converter that the OP is asking about does not exist and would not be a practical solution to his problem.
Bararontok
Is there a coaxial digital to analog converter that only decodes the digital signal into multiple signals for the channels and then converts the digital signals into analog signals but does not serve as a digital tuner?

Because most coaxial digital to analog converters do not decode the multiplexed signals but instead just use digital tuning circuitry to filter out unwanted channel signals and tune into the selected channel before converting the selected channel signal into an analog signal and sending it to the analog television. But this type of system requires a separate remote for the converter and renders the television's channel selection function useless.

A converter that decodes the digital signals and then allows all the signals to be converted and be sent through the output cable as analog signals will allow the analog tuner of an analog television to perform the channel selection and this makes the converter cheaper and simpler because the tuning circuitry, remote sensor and remote control are eliminated from the device. Such a device would also be useful in a residence with multiple analog televisions because only one device would be needed to provide cable signals because connecting a regular coaxial digital to analog converter with a built in tuner to a splitter that would provide cable signals to all the televisions would imply that all the televisions would be tuned into the same channel every time the channel of the converter is changed and this would prevent the televisions from having the ability to independently tune into other channels.

Of course, it would be possible to buy a regular converter with a digital tuner for each television or just buy multiple digital televisions but this would be expensive and the latter suggestion would waste the analog televisions which are still in very good condition. That is why a simpler converter that only decodes and converts the signals to analog signals which can be connected to all of the televisions using a splitter is a more economical solution if it is available in the market.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @sophiecentaur . Can you help with this spring cleaning thread?

I read it, but I don't understand what he's talking about.

anorlunda said:
ping @sophiecentaur . Can you help with this spring cleaning thread?

I read it, but I don't understand what he's talking about.
I think he wants a so called DTV 'set top box' with a UHF Analogue TV output for all the coded channels simultaneously and the puts them on separate UHF channels.
I can't think why. It's easy to provide all the TV receivers with the same multiplex signal with a UHF distribution amplifier and they can all look at whatever channels they want. I am assuming that all the receivers would be digital - capable. The UK Freeview system does just this and so do many other systems.
The other way (his suggestion) seems to involve setting up dozens of digital TV to analogue TV converters, DTV demodulators, PAL or NTSC Analogue modulators and frequency converters to produce a whole spectrum of UHF Analogue TV channels - which would have to be combined with a LINEAR combiner and power amplifier. That would cost a fortune and is just not the way to do things.

Likes anorlunda
sophiecentaur said:
just not the way to do things.
It may seem so to someone who doesn't know about the new technology but the huge advantage of digital TV coding is the massive increase in programme capacity compared with any analogue system. Old analogue CATV systems (what he's actually suggesting) had nothing like the capacity of a modern digital system and the quality was very poor because they tried to cram as many channels as possible down one cable.

It sounds like the question is mostly moot because we have switched to digital TV.

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
It sounds like the question is mostly moot because we have switched to digital TV.
Yes. Analogue TV is just out of date and will never be re-introduced. Before long, Analogue - capable receivers will just not be available.
I expect there will be similar questions about IC engines in 'electric' cars, one day.

Another problem with doing what the OP wanted is that the channel number no longer necessarily specifies a frequency and each channel can have multiple programs. So even if you found a way to accomplish the task you will have an even more broken experience than just using the converter remote.

BoB

Likes anorlunda and sophiecentaur
Digital set top boxes are very cheap - if the users really have to use Analogue receivers. Regular UHF distribution systems are cheap and available for feeding digital signals over communities of all sizes.

And then what would the users do when they find (inexorably and one by one) that their analogue receivers start to fail and cannot be replaced? A whole additional digital distribution system would need to be provided in order to serve the first one, two or three customers who cannot get hold of a regular analogue set.

What is a coaxial digital to analog converter?

A coaxial digital to analog converter is a device that converts digital audio signals into analog signals. It is commonly used to connect digital audio sources, such as a DVD player or set-top box, to analog audio devices like speakers or amplifiers.

How does a coaxial digital to analog converter work?

A coaxial digital to analog converter works by taking the digital audio signal from a coaxial cable and converting it into an analog signal that can be understood by analog audio devices. This is done by using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) chip, which translates the 0s and 1s of the digital signal into an analog waveform.

What are the benefits of using a coaxial digital to analog converter?

One of the main benefits of using a coaxial digital to analog converter is that it allows you to connect digital audio sources to analog devices, expanding your options for audio equipment. It also helps to improve the quality of the audio signal, as it can eliminate the interference and distortion that can occur with analog connections.

Do I need a coaxial digital to analog converter?

It depends on your audio setup. If you have a digital audio source and analog audio equipment, then a coaxial digital to analog converter can be very useful. However, if both your source and equipment have digital connections, then you may not need a converter.

How do I choose the right coaxial digital to analog converter?

To choose the right coaxial digital to analog converter, you should consider the quality of the converter, the types of connections it offers, and its compatibility with your audio devices. You may also want to read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for your needs and budget.