Question about finding resonant box dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses building a resonator box for a musical instrument and how to determine the proper dimensions for achieving the best resonance. The suggested method is to make the box dimensions an integral multiple of the wood's resonant frequency, and there is also mention of using a Helmoltz Resonator technique. The attached PDF contains an equation that may be helpful, but the use of p, q, and r for dimensions is not clear. The conversation ends with the person expressing fascination with the subject and thanking those who have provided information.
needtoknow86
Hello! I hope I'm in the right place for this questions. In short, I'm a musical instrument builder. I'm looking at placing a piece of wood above a closed resonator box. The box (also made out of wood) will have a hole in the top that is centered under the piece of wood. I know the material that I'm using as well as the frequency of the wood. How can I ensure that I build a box (needs to be a rectangle) with the proper dimensions to achieve the best resonance. I've looked at some equations, but I'm still trying to make sense of it. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
needtoknow86 said:
Hello! I hope I'm in the right place for this questions. In short, I'm a musical instrument builder. I'm looking at placing a piece of wood above a closed resonator box. The box (also made out of wood) will have a hole in the top that is centered under the piece of wood. I know the material that I'm using as well as the frequency of the wood. How can I ensure that I build a box (needs to be a rectangle) with the proper dimensions to achieve the best resonance. I've looked at some equations, but I'm still trying to make sense of it. Thank you in advance!
If by "frequency of the wood" you mean, as I assume you do, the resonant frequency of the wood, then you can easily get the wavelength and you just need to make the box dimensions an integral multiple of the wavelength.

For example, if your wood resonates at 10Khz then you have

speed of sound = 340.29meters / second and divide that by 10,000 cycles / second and you get 3.4029 cm / cycle so you make your box dimensions 3.4029cm or 6.8058cm or ...

needtoknow86 said:
It strikes me that you are describing something very like a Helmoltz Resonator. the piece of wood over the hole will act like a port, although the traditional arrangement is to have a simple tube. Bass loudspeakers use the technique for lowering the natural resonance of the box dramatically. You will find a lot of Google hits about this. I found a very comprehensive one about musical instrument design which has, in Section 5, some of the basics that you can find elsewhere but it would make a good read for you. I think.

Thanks for the replies! phinds, the frequency renders a wavelength of 352.04. For my project, that produces a box that is too tall... in that case, if I reduce the height, does length and width come into play? Or at that point, am I just settling for less resonance? Is there a way to find a cubic measurement that best works with the frequency that I'm dealing with, essentially allowing me to mess around with height, length and width to match the frequency I have. Thanks for the read, sophiecentaur! I'll probably have some questions about that. This kind of stuff fascinates me, thanks again!

Hello again, I found an equation that looks like it might help me with my problem. In the attached .pdf It's the first equation on page 3. I understand everything except for the authors use of p, q, and r, in which he states that they're integer that are respectively associated with the dimensions. He later gives a chart indicating using a variety of 0's, 1's, 2's, etc. in order to solve the equation. Are p, q, and r simply chosen to satisfy the equation or is there some logic to what they need to be? I hope I'm explaining everything alright. I apologize as I'm sure some of you are shaking your head at my lack of vocabulary and understanding of the subject! Anyways, thanks again in advance!

Attachments

• Acoustical Cavity Modes.pdf
    461.3 KB · Views: 2,797

1. What is a resonant box?

A resonant box, also known as a resonance chamber or Helmholtz resonator, is a hollow, enclosed space that is designed to vibrate at a specific frequency when exposed to sound waves. It is commonly used in musical instruments, such as guitars and violins, to amplify and enhance sound.

2. How do you calculate the dimensions of a resonant box?

The dimensions of a resonant box are calculated using the formula V=(L/4)^3, where V is the volume of the box and L is the length of the opening. This formula is based on the principle that the length of the opening should be one quarter of the wavelength of the desired resonant frequency.

3. Can the dimensions of a resonant box be adjusted to change the resonant frequency?

Yes, the dimensions of a resonant box can be adjusted to change the resonant frequency. By changing the length of the opening or the overall volume of the box, the resonant frequency can be shifted higher or lower. However, it is important to note that changing the dimensions may also affect the quality of the resonance.

4. Why is it important to find the resonant frequency of a box?

Finding the resonant frequency of a box is important because it allows us to understand and control how sound behaves inside the box. This information is crucial in designing musical instruments or acoustic spaces, as well as in noise control and soundproofing applications.

5. What factors can affect the resonant frequency of a box?

The resonant frequency of a box can be affected by several factors, including the dimensions of the box, the material it is made of, and the shape and size of the opening. Additionally, the air temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the resonant frequency.