Question about group representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a diagonal generator in a group and the use of eigenvectors as basis for the vector space of a representation. It is possible to find a representation where at least one element is a diagonal matrix, but only if the group is simple and nonabelian. The second question asks if it is necessary to use eigenvectors as basis vectors, which is related to the first question.
Tio Barnabe
After reading some books on Group Theory, I have two questions on group representations (Using matrix representation) with the second related to the first one:

1 - Can we always find a diagonal generator of a group? I mean, suppose we find a set of generators for a group. Is it always possible to have at least one of them being a diagonal matrix?

2 - If so, then the eigenvectors of this diagonal operator can be used as a basis for the vector space where the representation takes place. My question is if the eigenvectors can be used or if they must be used as the basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the two-element group of 2 x 2 matrices consisting of two elements,
\begin{pmatrix}
1&0\\
0&1
\end{pmatrix}
and
\begin{pmatrix}
0&1\\
1&0
\end{pmatrix}
The second of these is not diagonal, and it cannot be generated by the other elements, since there is only one other element and that is the identity.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, so I don't know whether this answers it.

Thanks for your reply, but
I don't know whether this answers it
unfortunately, it doesn't.

I will try to be more clear. Suppose we have a group ##G## with generators ##\{g_1,g_2,... \} \equiv \{g_i \}## and a representation ##R##, such that ##\{R(g_1),R(g_2),... \}## are matrices representing the group ##G##.

My first question is, For any group ##G##, is it always possible to find a representation ##R## such that there is at least one element ##g## of ##\{g_i \}## such that ##R(g)## is a diagonal matrix? (End of the first question.)

The representation of ##G##, i.e. the matrices ##R(\{g_i \})## will act on vectors belonging to a vector space. I read of cases where one of the ##R(\{g_i \})## was a diagonal matrix. In that case, the author has chosen the corresponding eigen-vectors as the basis vectors of the vector space where the transformations ##R(\{g_i \})## act.

My second question is, Do we need always to choose the basis vectors as being the eigen-vectors of one of the ##R(\{g_i \})##? (That's the reason I said in post #1 that the second question is related to the first question.)

Tio Barnabe said:
Thanks for your reply, but
My first question is, For any group ##G##, is it always possible to find a representation ##R## such that there is at least one element ##g## of ##\{g_i \}## such that ##R(g)## is a diagonal matrix? (End of the first question.)

Yes, take [itex]R[/itex] to be the trivial representation, for example. This is the only such representation if [itex]G[/itex] is simple and nonabelian (for example, [itex]A_5[/itex]) and the identity is not one of your chosen generators since then any representation would either be faithful or trivial (kernel must be a normal subgroup), but a faithful representation would exhibit an isomorphism from [itex]G[/itex] to a group with a nontrivial center, which is impossible (nonabelian simple groups have trivial center since the center of a group is normal).

Last edited:

1. What is group representation?

Group representation is a mathematical concept that involves representing a group of elements using matrices or linear transformations. It helps in understanding and analyzing the properties and behaviors of groups in a more manageable way.

2. Why is group representation important?

Group representation is important because it allows us to study and understand complex mathematical structures, such as symmetry groups, in a more visual and tangible way. It also has many applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science.

3. How is group representation related to symmetry?

Group representation is closely related to symmetry because symmetry groups can be represented using matrices or linear transformations. This allows us to study the symmetries of objects and systems in a more systematic way, which is essential in many scientific disciplines.

4. Can group representation be used in other areas besides mathematics?

Yes, group representation has many applications in other areas such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, it is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, while in chemistry, it helps in understanding the spatial arrangements of molecules. In computer science, group representation is used in the development of algorithms for data analysis and pattern recognition.

5. What are some common types of group representations?

Some common types of group representations include permutation representations, matrix representations, and character representations. Permutation representations involve rearranging the elements of a group, while matrix representations involve using matrices to represent group elements. Character representations use characters to encode group elements and are commonly used in the study of symmetry groups.