Question about infinite series

In summary, an infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding together an infinite number of terms related by a specific pattern or formula. The sum of an infinite series is calculated by finding the limit of the partial sums, and there are common types such as geometric and harmonic series. The convergence or divergence of an infinite series is important in determining its behavior and properties, and they have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and computer science.
badatcalc
To anyone that can help me with this - You have to pick the FIRST correct reason. Work below (exception of 4 because I cannot figure it out), but in order to get the question right you must have all correct and I cannot figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 4.32.18 PM.png

phpuSLyss.png

php9KCm97.png

phpIJk04x.png

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd double check 4 & 6.

No4 is not that hard once you figure out that ##6^{2n}=(6^2)^n=36^n## and ##(6^2+1)^n=37^n##.

No6 looks fine to me. (oh now I see it says the FIRST reason, might be A afterall).

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. It can be written in the form of ∑(n=1 to infinity) an, where a represents the terms in the series and n represents the number of terms. Each term in the series is added to the previous one to form a sum.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests analyze the behavior of the terms in the series and determine if the series approaches a finite value (converges) or goes to infinity (diverges).

3. Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a finite sum if it converges. This means that the terms in the series become smaller and smaller as n approaches infinity, resulting in a finite sum. An example of an infinite series with a finite sum is the geometric series ∑(n=1 to infinity) (1/2)^n, which converges to a sum of 1.

4. What is the importance of infinite series in mathematics?

Infinite series have many important applications in mathematics and other fields. They are used to represent functions, approximate values of numbers, and solve problems in calculus, physics, and engineering. The concept of limits, which is crucial in calculus, is closely related to infinite series.

5. Are there any real-life examples of infinite series?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of infinite series, such as compound interest, where the interest is calculated based on the initial principal amount plus the accumulated interest from previous periods. Another example is the decimal expansion of a number, which can be written as an infinite series of fractions. Additionally, the concept of Zeno's paradox, where a series of infinite tasks must be completed to reach a specific goal, is also an example of an infinite series.