Question about interstellar travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interstellar travel and how scientists have figured out a way to send objects into space and increase their velocities through gravity assists. The question is raised about how the probes are able to increase their velocities and escape the gravitational orbit of planets. It is mentioned that Google Gravity Assist and Wikipedia can provide more information on this topic, but it is primarily used for interplanetary travel rather than interstellar travel.
toesockshoe
My physics professor told us something about interstellar travel, which I have a question on.

He told us that scientists figured out a way to send objects into space and frequently increase velocities. He said they do this by sending probes and aiming them at planets and large bodies in space thus sending the probes to orbit around the body and eventually they will escape the gravitational orbit of the planet after they reach the escape velocity when they will head towards another body and continue the same process until they reach a fast velocity. He said scientits can direct the probe's launch so they can plan it to go to a certain place through these collisions.
The question I have is how do the probes increase their velocities and climb up to the escape velocities? I would ask him the question now, but the quarter ended. I tried searching this up on google, but couldn't find anything related to this. I was wondering if anyone can help me out.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Google Gravity Assist or look it up in wikipedia for some good stuff.
However, it is used for interplanetary travel, not interstellar travel.

Jim Graber

jimgraber said:
Google Gravity Assist or look it up in wikipedia for some good stuff.
However, it is used for interplanetary travel, not interstellar travel.

Jim Graber
ahh thank you.

There have been a number of proposals that involve combining gravity assists from the Sun with the Oberth effect that enable a spacecraft to escape the solar system lickety-split, where "lickety-split" means "in a decade or so". Compare that to the four decades it's taken the Voyager spacecraft to escape the solar system. A factor of four speedup is not the ticket to interstellar travel.

1. How is interstellar travel possible?

Interstellar travel is possible through the use of advanced propulsion systems, such as nuclear fusion or antimatter engines. These engines allow spacecraft to reach speeds close to the speed of light, making it possible to travel vast distances in a relatively short amount of time.

2. What are the challenges of interstellar travel?

One of the main challenges of interstellar travel is the vast distances involved. Even with advanced propulsion systems, it can take decades or even centuries to reach another star system. Additionally, the dangers of radiation, micro-meteoroids, and space debris must also be taken into account.

3. Are there any current interstellar travel missions?

Currently, there are no missions specifically dedicated to interstellar travel. However, there are several spacecraft, such as Voyager 1 and 2, that have left our solar system and are traveling through interstellar space. There are also plans for future missions, such as Breakthrough Starshot, which aim to send small probes to nearby star systems.

4. Can humans survive interstellar travel?

At this point, it is not possible for humans to survive interstellar travel. The long durations, exposure to radiation, and lack of resources make it extremely difficult for humans to make such a journey. However, advancements in technology and research may one day make human interstellar travel a possibility.

5. What are the potential benefits of interstellar travel?

Interstellar travel could have many potential benefits, such as expanding our understanding of the universe, discovering new resources or habitable planets, and potentially even finding other forms of life. It could also open up opportunities for space exploration and colonization beyond our own solar system.