Question About Invariant Interval in Special Relavitiy

In summary, to check the correctness of your answers for a problem involving two trains passing each other, you can use the invariant interval equation c2t'2-x'2=c2t2-x2, where t and x are the time and position in the ground frame, and t' and x' are the time and position in the respective train's frame.
mmmboh
This isn't a homework question, rather I believe I could use the invariant interval to check if my answers are right sometimes, but we are skipping this part in my class.

Anyway I did this problem where there were two trains, one of length L moving to the right with velocity v, and another of length 2L moving to the left with velocity v, and I had to find how long it took the trains to pass each other (so the time between the front of the trains meeting, and the back of the trains meeting), I had to find the time in each of the trains' frames, and the ground frame. Anyways I have my answers, but I would like to check to see if they are correct using the invariant interval. in c2t'2-x'2=c2t2-x2, I believe the times are just how long it took the trains to pass each other in the respective frames, but I am confused on what I should use for the x's?
In the ground frame, the time I got for the trains to pass each other is 3L/2vγ, I guess I have to choose an origin, so when the front of the trains meet would obviously make the most sense. So would x for the ground frame just be (3L/2vγ)*v=3L/2γ? And what about x' of the train on the left let's say, in the left trains frame am I suppose to use -L for x' since that's the place the back of the trains meet in it's frame? and then in the right train's frame it would be -2L?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry if this is confusing, I'm not very good at explaining things. But any help would be greatly appreciated!Yes, your reasoning is correct. In the ground frame, the x coordinate of the point at which the two trains pass each other is 3L/2γ. This is because it takes a time of 3L/2vγ for them to move a distance of 3L in the ground frame. In the left train's frame, the x' coordinate of the point at which the two trains pass each other is -L. This is because the left train has moved a distance of -L in its own frame during the same time that the two trains have moved a distance of 3L in the ground frame. Similarly, in the right train's frame, the x' coordinate of the point at which the two trains pass each other is -2L. This is because the right train has moved a distance of -2L in its own frame during the same time that the two trains have moved a distance of 3L in the ground frame. Now, you can plug all these values into the invariant interval equation: c2t'2-x'2=c2t2-x2. Let t=3L/2vγ, t'=3L/2vγ, x=3L/2γ and x'=-L (for the left train), and x'=-2L (for the right train). You should find that the equation holds true and that your answers are correct.

Related to Question About Invariant Interval in Special Relavitiy

1. What is the invariant interval in special relativity?

The invariant interval is a concept in special relativity that represents the distance between two events in spacetime. It is a combination of both spatial and temporal distance, and is defined as the square root of the difference between the squared spatial distance and the squared temporal distance.

2. How is the invariant interval different from regular distance?

The invariant interval takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of special relativity. It is different from regular distance because it considers the relative motion of observers and the fact that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames.

3. Why is the invariant interval important in special relativity?

The invariant interval is important because it is a fundamental concept that is used to derive many other important principles in special relativity. It also helps to describe the effects of time and space on objects moving at high speeds, and provides a consistent framework for understanding the laws of physics in all inertial reference frames.

4. How is the invariant interval calculated?

The invariant interval is calculated using the Minkowski metric, which is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to measure the distance between two points in spacetime. It involves taking the difference between the squared spatial distance and the squared temporal distance, and then taking the square root of that difference.

5. Can the invariant interval be negative?

No, the invariant interval is always a positive number. This is because the squared spatial distance and the squared temporal distance are always positive quantities, and the square root of a positive number is also positive. A negative invariant interval would violate the fundamental principles of special relativity.