Question about invariant w.r.t. a group action

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an invariant function with respect to the action of a subgroup H on a group G. The conditions for such a function to exist are listed and a proof is provided. It is suggested that this construction may be a specific application of a more general theorem in group theory, specifically involving the normalizer of H.
mnb96
Hello,

I have a group [itex](G,\cdot)[/itex] that has a subgroup [itex]H \leq G[/itex], and I consider the action of H on G defined as follows:
[itex]\varphi(h,g)=h\cdot g[/itex]
In other words, the action is simply given by the group operation.

Now I am interested in finding a (non-trivial) invariant function w.r.t. the action of H, which means finding a function [itex]\chi:G\rightarrow G'[/itex] such that [itex]\chi(h\cdot g)=\chi(g)[/itex] for all [itex]h\in H[/itex] and [itex]g\in G[/itex].

I realized that I can easily impose sufficient conditions on [itex]\chi[/itex] to ensure that it is an invariant function w.r.t. H.
Such conditions are:
  1. [itex]\chi[/itex] has the form [itex]\chi(g) = \gamma(g)^{-1}\cdot g[/itex]
  2. [itex]\gamma[/itex] is an automorphism of the group [itex]G[/itex]
  3. [itex]\gamma[/itex] fixes the subgroup [itex]H[/itex], [itex]\quad[/itex]i.e. [itex]\gamma(h)=h[/itex] for all [itex]h\in H[/itex]
The proof is very easy (just apply [itex]\chi[/itex] as defined in 1. to [itex](h\cdot g)[/itex] and use 2. and 3.)

My question is: Are the above conditions already well-known, perhaps in a more general form?
Is my construction just a specific application of some more general theorem in group theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your three conditions seem to not work but maybe I don't understand what you are saying.

In any case,,any group homomorphism whose kernel contains the normalizer of H would seem to work.

Hi Lavinia,

thanks for replying. I was wondering why you said that the three conditions I listed do not work. The proof went like this:

[itex]\chi(hg)= \gamma(hg)^{-1}hg [/itex] [itex]\quad\quad[/itex] (definition of [itex]\chi[/itex])
[itex] = \gamma(g)^{-1} \gamma(h)^{-1} hg [/itex] [itex]\quad\quad (\gamma[/itex] is an automorphism)
[itex] = \gamma(g^{-1}) \gamma(h^{-1}) hg [/itex] [itex]\quad\quad(\gamma[/itex] is an automorphism)
[itex] = \gamma(g^{-1}) h^{-1}hg [/itex] [itex]\quad\quad(\gamma[/itex] fixes H)
[itex] = \gamma(g^{-1}) g [/itex]
[itex] = \chi(g) [/itex]

Did I miss something? I think I have used all the three assumptions mentioned in my previous post.

I feel that what I have done here is essentially the consequence of some well-known construction/theorem in group theory, but I don't know which one. I didn't get completely your argument about the normalizer.

Your calculation is correct. I was confused.

A homomorphism whose kernel contains H will satisfy your required condition since all of the elements of H are sent to the identity. The normalizer is automatically in the kernel.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Your construction is indeed a specific application of a more general theorem in group theory called the Invariant Subgroup Theorem. This theorem states that for any subgroup H of a group G, there exists a homomorphism \gamma: G \rightarrow G' such that \gamma(h) = e' for all h \in H, where e' is the identity element of G'. In other words, \gamma is an automorphism that fixes the subgroup H.

Your conditions for finding an invariant function w.r.t. the action of H are essentially the same as those required by the Invariant Subgroup Theorem. So, your construction is not only well-known, but it is also a fundamental result in group theory.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Best,

Related to Question about invariant w.r.t. a group action

1. What is an invariant with respect to a group action?

An invariant with respect to a group action is a property or quantity that remains unchanged under the action of a group. In other words, it is a feature that remains constant, regardless of how the elements of the group are transformed.

2. What is a group action?

A group action is a mathematical operation that maps elements of a group onto other elements of the same group. It is essentially a way of transforming or rearranging the elements of a group.

3. How is an invariant related to a group action?

An invariant is related to a group action because it is a property that remains unchanged under the action of a group. In other words, an invariant is a feature that is preserved by the group action.

4. What are some examples of invariants with respect to a group action?

Some common examples of invariants with respect to a group action include the identity element of a group, the order of a group, and the number of elements in a cycle in a permutation group. Other examples can vary depending on the specific group and action being considered.

5. Why are invariants important in group theory?

Invariants are important in group theory because they help identify and classify different groups. They can also provide insights into the structure and behavior of groups, and are used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and topology.