Question about Lagrangian density

In summary, Lagrangian density is a mathematical tool used in physics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is a function that combines the kinetic and potential energies of a system, and is used to derive the equations of motion for particles and fields. It plays a crucial role in the study of classical mechanics and quantum field theory.
Another
Homework Statement
Find
1. the Lagrangian density of massive spring system
2. the energy density of this system
Relevant Equations
divide massive spring to \rho = \frac{m}{L} = \frac{dm}{dy}
velocity of each small spring ## dm ## in ## v_i = \frac{V}{L} y_i##
Simple_harmonic_oscillator.gif
this figure form ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_(spring–mass_system) )

massive spring ; m
K.E. of total spring equal to ## K.E. = \frac{1}{2} \sum dm_i v_i^2 = \frac{1}{2} \sum \rho dy (Vy/L)^2##

V is the speed at the end of the spring and V are same speed of mass M at the end of spring, SO
## K.E. = \frac{1}{2} \rho \frac{V^2}{L^2} \int_{0}^{L} y^2 dy = \frac{1}{2} \frac{m}{3} V^2 ##
Potential of the spring when divided by ## dm ##
## P.E. = \sum dm_i g y_i ## at equilibrium ## dm g = k dy_i ##
## P.E. = \sum dm_i g y_i = \sum k y_i dy_i = \int_{0}^{L} k y dy##

P.E. of mass M at the end of spring is ## P.E. = -MgL ## I think at any y ## P.E. ## may be written ##P.E. = -Mg dy##
K.E. of mass M ## K.E. = \frac{1}{2} M V^2 ##

The lagrangian of this system is L = K.E. - P.E.
and The lagrangian density is L therefore ## L = \int L dy##

from above I can write K.E. and P.E. of massive and P.E. o mass M at the end of massive spring in term dy but i can't write K.E. of mass M in term dy How can i solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. For me, the problem statement does not clearly describe the system. Did you give the complete wording of the problem as it was given to you? Were you given a figure similar to the one that you posted from Wikipedia? Are you sure that the system in your problem is the same as the system in the Wikipedia article?

I ask this because a massive spring (without a lump of mass on the end) still makes an interesting dynamical system. Also, the problem statement does not mention that the system is hanging vertically in a gravitational field.

1. What is Lagrangian density?

Lagrangian density is a mathematical quantity used in the field of theoretical physics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is derived from the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical function that summarizes the kinetic and potential energies of a system.

2. How is Lagrangian density related to Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian density is an extension of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles and systems. While Lagrangian mechanics deals with discrete particles, Lagrangian density is used to describe continuous systems, such as fields.

3. What is the significance of Lagrangian density in physics?

Lagrangian density is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of quantum field theory and general relativity. It allows for the formulation of equations of motion that describe the behavior of particles and fields in a system.

4. How is Lagrangian density used in practical applications?

Lagrangian density is used in a variety of practical applications, including in the study of particle physics, fluid dynamics, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of theories and models to explain the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are the key properties of Lagrangian density?

Some key properties of Lagrangian density include its invariance under coordinate transformations, its ability to describe the dynamics of systems with multiple degrees of freedom, and its role in the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path of least resistance between two points in space and time.