Question about Lithium batteries

In summary, according to a PhD researcher, a rechargeable Lithium battery that is new and not used for a few years will degrade much slower than one that is regularly used, charged, and discharged. However, if the battery is only used for the first time after a few years, it may already have degraded significantly. Recent articles also suggest that advancements in Lithium battery chemistry may be able to prevent battery degradation, which could have a major impact on industries such as electric aircraft and reduce the environmental impact of mining. Battery University also provides tips on how to prolong the life of Lithium-based batteries.
kenny1999
If a rechargeable Lithium battery is new and not used for a few years, will it degrade much slower or as fast as the one that is regularly used, charged and discharged? What if I only start to use it after a few years for the first time, will the battery already degrade so badly

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
A more recent article announces a change in how lithium battery chemistry works that can prevent battery degradation.

https://bigthink.com/the-future/lithium-sulfur-batteries/
That is some interesting stuff, would be a real game changer! First thought came to my mind was https://evtol.com/news/oxis-lithium-sulfur-battery-bye-aerospace/
I hope even half of the advantages can be commercially realized,particularly the reduced mining impact.
With NASA's interest in electric aircraft I was also surprised to find no hits on the NASA or JPL technical reports servers, that will probably change soon though.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman, Tom.G and 1 other person

1. What are lithium batteries made of?

Lithium batteries are made of lithium, a highly reactive metal, and a variety of other materials such as carbon, copper, and aluminum. The exact composition of lithium batteries can vary depending on the type and manufacturer.

2. How do lithium batteries work?

Lithium batteries work by using the movement of lithium ions between a positive and negative electrode to create an electrical current. When the battery is charged, the lithium ions move from the positive electrode to the negative electrode. When the battery is being used, the lithium ions move back to the positive electrode, creating a flow of electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using lithium batteries?

Lithium batteries have several advantages over other types of batteries. They have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a small size. They also have a low self-discharge rate, meaning they can hold their charge for longer periods of time. Additionally, lithium batteries have a longer lifespan and can be recharged many times.

4. Are lithium batteries safe to use?

Overall, lithium batteries are considered safe to use. However, they can be dangerous if mishandled or damaged. If a lithium battery is punctured or exposed to extreme temperatures, it can catch fire or explode. It is important to handle lithium batteries carefully and follow proper storage and disposal guidelines.

5. How can I dispose of lithium batteries?

Lithium batteries should be disposed of properly to prevent environmental contamination and potential hazards. Many cities and towns have designated drop-off locations for battery recycling. You can also check with your local waste management company for specific guidelines on how to dispose of lithium batteries in your area.