Question about minimum function and limit definition (proper)

In summary: If $\epsilon/2|a| + 1 < 1$, then $\epsilon/2|a| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}$. As $\epsilon > 2|a|+1$, $\epsilon/2|a| < \epsilon$. Hence $|x - a| < \epsilon$.
Amad27
Hi,

Suppose you want to prove $|x - a||x + a| < \epsilon$

You know

$|x - a| < (2|a| + 1)$
You need to prove

$|x + a| < \frac{\epsilon}{2|a| + 1}$

So that

$|x - a||x + a| < \epsilon$

Why does Michael Spivak do this:

He says you have to prove --> $|x + a| < min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a| + 1})$ in order to finally prove, $|x + a||x - a| < \epsilon$

Why do we need the $min$ function there?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, let's write down the statement of the problem

Claim $|x+a| < \text{min}(1, \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}) \Rightarrow |x+a||x-a| < \epsilon$

If $\text{min}(1, \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}) = 1$, $\epsilon > 2|a|+1$, and we know $2|a|+1 > |x-a|$, implying $|x-a| < \epsilon$. As $|x+a| < \text{min}(1, \epsilon(2|a|+1)^{-1}) = 1$, $|x-a||x+a| < \epsilon \cdot 1 = \epsilon$ $\blacksquare$

I'm not sure if you really want to "prove" that $|x+a||x-a| < \epsilon$, or find a suitable $\epsilon$ to do so, or whatever you have in mind so I don't think I can help you more that this if you can't give the context. What was the original problem?

mathbalarka said:
OK, let's write down the statement of the problem

Claim $|x+a| < \text{min}(1, \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}) \Rightarrow |x+a||x-a| < \epsilon$

If $\text{min}(1, \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}) = 1$, $\epsilon > 2|a|+1$, and we know $2|a|+1 > |x-a|$, implying $|x-a| < \epsilon$. As $|x+a| < \text{min}(1, \epsilon(2|a|+1)^{-1}) = 1$, $|x-a||x+a| < \epsilon \cdot 1 = \epsilon$ $\blacksquare$

I'm not sure if you really want to "prove" that $|x+a||x-a| < \epsilon$, or find a suitable $\epsilon$ to do so, or whatever you have in mind so I don't think I can help you more that this if you can't give the context. What was the original problem?

Hi,

Thanks for replying, this could help very much.

The original problem is proving.

as $x -> a, f(x) = x^2 -->a^2$

We can also use $\delta$ if that would help by any chance.

How do you know:

$$2|a| + 1 > |x - a|$$?

He then uses we need to prove

$$|x - a||x + a| < \epsilon$$
To do that he says,

$$\text{if}\space |x + a| < \text{min}(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a| + 1})$$

What is the point of $\text{min}$ what does that even imply?

Why do we require the $1$ there? Why not directly prove

$$|x + a| < \frac{\epsilon}{2|a| + 1}$$

Thanks!

By definition of continuity, you have to prove that for every $\varepsilon > 0$, there is always a $\delta > 0$ such that if $0 < |x - a| < \delta$ then $|x^2 - a^2| < \epsilon$.

Assume $\delta < 1$. Then $|x - a| < 1 \Longrightarrow -1 < x - a < 1 \Longrightarrow -1 + a < x < 1 + a$ which implies $|x + a| < 2|a| + 1$. Hence $|x^2 - a^2| = |x + a||x - a| < (2|a| + 1)|x - a| < \epsilon$. Then $|x - a| < \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}$.

Can you see why $\delta$ is picked to be the minimum of $1$ and $\epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}$? Verify if nessesary.

mathbalarka said:
By definition of continuity, you have to prove that for every $\varepsilon > 0$, there is always a $\delta > 0$ such that if $0 < |x - a| < \delta$ then $|x^2 - a^2| < \epsilon$.

Assume $\delta < 1$. Then $|x - a| < 1 \Longrightarrow -1 < x - a < 1 \Longrightarrow -1 + a < x < 1 + a$ which implies $|x + a| < 2|a| + 1$. Hence $|x^2 - a^2| = |x + a||x - a| < (2|a| + 1)|x - a| < \epsilon$. Then $|x - a| < \epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}$.

Can you see why $\delta$ is picked to be the minimum of $1$ and $\epsilon \cdot (2|a|+1)^{-1}$? Verify if nessesary.

I see an issue though.

What about for all those that

$$|x - a| > 1$$

Why not consider those values as well?

Olok said:
I see an issue though.

What about for all those that

$$|x - a| > 1$$

Why not consider those values as well?

Or wait,

Why do you need to bound $|x - a|$ anyway?

AND

What if $\epsilon/2|a| + 1 < 1$

Then what happens?

Related to Question about minimum function and limit definition (proper)

What is the minimum function?

The minimum function, also known as the min function, is a mathematical function that takes in a set of numbers and returns the smallest value in that set.

How is the minimum function represented mathematically?

In mathematical notation, the minimum function is often represented as min(x1, x2, ..., xn), where x1, x2, ..., xn are the numbers in the set. It can also be represented using the symbol "∧" or "⊗".

What is the limit definition of a minimum function?

The limit definition of a minimum function is the mathematical expression that describes the behavior of the function as it approaches a certain value. It is often represented as lim x→a min(f(x)).

What is the purpose of the limit definition in relation to the minimum function?

The limit definition helps us understand the behavior of the minimum function as it approaches a certain value. It allows us to calculate the exact value of the minimum function at that point and also helps us determine if the function is continuous or discontinuous at that point.

How is the limit definition used to solve problems involving minimum functions?

The limit definition is used to evaluate the minimum function at a specific point and determine its behavior at that point. It also helps in finding the minimum value of a function in a given interval by taking the limit of the function as it approaches the boundary values of that interval.