Question about orbits and Kepler's problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving Kepler's problem for a projectile after a given velocity and impact parameter, and how the quantities of energy and angular momentum are related to the orbit equation. It is concluded that a particle starting from infinity cannot be in a bound orbit, but it is possible for it to be captured by another body through additional interactions.
L0r3n20
I've been looking at the Kepler's problem, and it looks like your orbit (elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic) are given in terms of energy and angular momentum. I was wondering: if I have a central attractive potential (such as the Sun) and a projectile starting from an infinite distance at a given velocity and impact parameter, would it be possible to obtain the orbit equation for such an object? I mean: I would like to solve Kepler's problem for a projectile after a given velocity and impact parameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantities you quoted are directly relatable to the energy and angular momentum, so yes.

Orodruin said:
The quantities you quoted are directly relatable to the energy and angular momentum, so yes.
The module of the angular momentum can be expressed as L = m v b (being b the impact parameter) but what about the energy? I mean if the projectile is at an infinite distance it has only kinetic (therefore positive) energy, so I cannot find any bounded state. What am I missing?

If the particle can reach infinity, it obviously is not in a bound state by definition.

Orodruin said:
If the particle can reach infinity, it obviously is not in a bound state by definition.
But what if it starts from infinity moving towards the Sun?

If it is at infinity it is not in a bound orbit, precisely because of what you mentioned.

Likes kasoll
Look at it this way: The bound orbits are ellipses of finite major and semi-major axis. Therefore a particle at infinity cannot be on one of those ellipses.

Orodruin said:
Look at it this way: The bound orbits are ellipses of finite major and semi-major axis. Therefore a particle at infinity cannot be on one of those ellipses.
Ok, i get it but I was wondering if a particle coming from infinite be captured by an attractive potential and bound into a closed orbit.

If it is moving solely under the influence of a central potential: No, that would violate conservation of energy.

Of course it can be captured if it interacts with another body and transfers enough energy to it (part of my research deals with the possible capture of dark matter particles by the Sun.), but this requires additional interactions beyond the motion in the central potential.

Orodruin said:
If it is moving solely under the influence of a central potential: No, that would violate conservation of energy.

Of course it can be captured if it interacts with another body and transfers enough energy to it (part of my research deals with the possible capture of dark matter particles by the Sun.), but this requires additional interactions beyond the motion in the central potential.
Thanks, I really understood! :)

1. How did Kepler contribute to our understanding of orbits?

Kepler's three laws of planetary motion, which he derived from his observations of the planets' movements, revolutionized our understanding of orbits. His laws describe the shape, size, and speed of planetary orbits, and laid the foundation for modern celestial mechanics.

2. What is Kepler's first law of planetary motion?

Kepler's first law states that the planets orbit the sun in elliptical paths, with the sun at one focus of the ellipse. This means that the distance between the planet and the sun varies throughout its orbit, with the closest point being the perihelion and the farthest point being the aphelion.

3. How did Kepler's second law change our understanding of orbital speed?

Kepler's second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal amounts of time. This means that a planet moves faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away, which was a departure from the previously accepted idea that planets moved at a constant speed in circular orbits.

4. What is Kepler's third law and how is it used in astronomy?

Kepler's third law, also known as the harmonic law, relates the orbital period of a planet to its distance from the sun. It states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law is used to calculate the orbital periods of planets and other celestial bodies, and has been instrumental in the discovery of new planets and exoplanets.

5. How does Kepler's problem relate to modern space exploration?

Kepler's problem, which involves finding the position of a planet at any given time based on its orbital elements, is still relevant in modern space exploration. It is used to plan and execute missions to other planets and moons, and to track the movements of spacecraft and satellites in orbit around Earth. Understanding Kepler's problem is essential for accurately predicting and controlling the motion of objects in space.