Question about plabic graphs in the amplituhedron approach

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on several questions related to graphs, specifically the plabic graphs used in the amplituhedron program. They are also asking for a reference to better understand the topic. Despite the individual's attempts to provide more information, the conversation has been closed for moderation.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a few questions on these graphs. For example if there is a way to tell directly from a complicated graph if it is "physical" in the sense that it describes an actual process. I have also questions on the building of graphs using BCFW bridges, on determining the value of the parameter "k" directly from the permutation associated to a graph, etc.

I won't type all my questions yet, I will wait to see if someone is familiar with these questions first.

But one question is this: I think that the value of "k" (=number of negative helicities) can be obtained directly from the permutation by counting how many of the values are mapped by the permutation to a value above n. Is that correct? I have not seen this stated explicitly like this or proved anywhere.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nrqed said:
I have a few questions on these graphs.

What graphs? What are you talking about?

A reference would help.

PeterDonis said:
What graphs? What are you talking about?

A reference would help.
I meant the graphs mentioned in the title of my post: the plabic graphs in the amplituhedron program.

nrqed said:
I meant the graphs mentioned in the title of my post: the plabic graphs in the amplituhedron program.

Which doesn't help, since I have no idea what "the amplituhedron program" is, much less what "the plabic graph" in it are. Even if I did, I would have no idea what version of those things you are talking about. That's why you need to give a reference.

PeterDonis said:
Which doesn't help, since I have no idea what "the amplituhedron program" is, much less what "the plabic graph" in it are. Even if I did, I would have no idea what version of those things you are talking about. That's why you need to give a reference.

If someone asks a question about Feynman diagrams and someone replies "what diagrams? What are you talking about?", it is probably a sign that the person cannot help with the question.

I wonder how you know that if you knew about plabic graphs as used for the amplituhedron, you would still not know what I am talking about. That's quite amazing to me :-)

If you need a specific reference, you can of course look for example at the "bible" on the topic, "Grassmannian Geometry of Scattering Amplitudes" by Akani-Hamed et al.

Likes physicsworks
Thread closed for moderation.

1. What is the amplituhedron approach?

The amplituhedron approach is a new mathematical framework for understanding particle interactions in quantum field theory. It is based on the idea that the scattering amplitudes of particles can be represented geometrically as volumes in a higher-dimensional space.

2. How are plabic graphs related to the amplituhedron approach?

Plabic graphs are a type of mathematical object that can be used to represent the geometry of the amplituhedron. These graphs are composed of lines and vertices, and their structure encodes information about the scattering amplitudes of particles.

3. What is the significance of plabic graphs in the amplituhedron approach?

Plabic graphs are important because they allow us to visualize and understand the complex geometry of the amplituhedron. They also provide a powerful tool for calculating scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory.

4. How are plabic graphs constructed?

Plabic graphs are constructed by starting with a seed graph and then applying a set of rules to generate new graphs. These rules involve adding and removing lines and vertices, and they are based on the geometry of the amplituhedron.

5. What are some potential applications of the amplituhedron approach?

The amplituhedron approach has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of particle interactions and lead to new insights in quantum field theory. It may also have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.