A few questions about doing a Gaussian Fit

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding Gaussian fit and its application in statistical analysis. The participants discuss the difference between Gaussian fit and Gaussian regression, and how to perform a Gaussian fit on data from an image. They also inquire about the exact definition and purpose of Gaussian fit. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of Gaussian fit in statistical analysis and its use in various statistical packages.
btb4198
A few questions about doing a Gaussian Fit :

1) Is gaussian fit and gaussian regression the same thing ?
2) I have a gaussian function that will return a list of gaussian numbers giving an initial list length. So if you input 5 you will get:
My question is if I have an image and I want to do a gaussian fit on the Rows and the Columns and graph them separately.
would I :
A) Add up all values in rows 1- 5, than multiply the value from row 1 to 1, multiply the value from row 2 to 2 , row 3 to 6, row 4 to 1, and row 5 to 1 and then repeat for the columns?
or
B) Add up all the values in my rows, then solve for the mean value, and then I am not sure what would come next ...

or is there something else I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you define exactly what a Gaussian fit is?

Office_Shredder said:
Can you define exactly what a Gaussian fit is?

When you take data from an image and you fit it into a Bell curve.
Actually when you take any given data.
I am told you do this, because if your data can fit in a bell curve, then you can do other, statistical Analysis to it.

Oh cool!
but could someone answer my questions ?

1. What is a Gaussian fit?

A Gaussian fit is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of data points in a dataset. It is based on the Gaussian or normal distribution, which is a bell-shaped curve that is commonly seen in nature and many real-world phenomena.

2. How is a Gaussian fit performed?

A Gaussian fit is performed by finding the best-fitting parameters for the Gaussian distribution curve that closely matches the data. This is usually done using a curve-fitting algorithm, such as the least-squares method, to minimize the difference between the data and the model.

3. What are the applications of Gaussian fit?

Gaussian fit has various applications in different fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and finance. It is commonly used to analyze and interpret experimental data, to model natural phenomena, and to make predictions about future events.

4. How do I know if a Gaussian fit is a good fit for my data?

There are several statistical tests that can be used to determine if a Gaussian fit is a good fit for your data. These include the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, the Anderson-Darling test, and the Shapiro-Wilk test. These tests compare the data to the expected values from a Gaussian distribution and provide a p-value, which indicates the likelihood of the data following a Gaussian distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian fit?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Gaussian fit. It assumes that the data is normally distributed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not accurately capture complex or multi-modal distributions. It is important to assess the goodness of fit and consider alternative models if necessary.