Question about plasma modeling

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for modeling plasma physics, such as the single particle description, kinetic model, and fluid model. The difference between the kinetic and fluid models is that the kinetic model contains information about the full distribution functions of the particles, while the fluid model only contains information about statistical moments. The fluid model treats the plasma as a continuous medium with an average velocity, but this does not mean that every particle is moving at that velocity. Some models may include the effects of finite temperature.
mody mody
hi ,, hello dears
first i hope i choose the suitable section to put my question

i want in fact to distinguish between different methods to model or study or describe plasma physics .. from my read i found that there are various ways to study plasma physics one way is the single particle description which held by following the trajectory of each particle but this is very complicated method due to large number of particles ,, other models is the kinetic model and fluid model in fact here my confusion appeared i can't distinguish between them what is the major difference between them and why the fluid model is more simpler .. i hope my question is specific and clear :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the part you might be confused about is, while the particle model is *conceptually* simple since each particle is rather simple, it's the ability to make predictions that is super-hard. How do you calculate the behavior of 1023 particles?
The fluid model takes a high-level approach, thus being mathematically much more tractable.

rumborak said:
I think the part you might be confused about is, while the particle model is *conceptually* simple since each particle is rather simple, it's the ability to make predictions that is super-hard. How do you calculate the behavior of 1023 particles?
The fluid model takes a high-level approach, thus being mathematically much more tractable.

mm i understood the difficulty at dealing with such high number of particles
could i say that both kinetic and fluid model are both statistical approaches or what in fact the difference between both of them

I think you have the right idea. Kinetic and fluid models are a sort of coarse-grained model. Both of them treat the plasma as a continuous medium, when in fact it is made up of a large number of particles. This allows us to ask questions like, what is the density of the plasma at a point (x,y,z). The plasma parameters are averaged over a small volume around the point. The number of particles is generally so large that we aren't too concerned about each individual one.

The difference between kinetic and fluid models is that a kinetic model is more complete and contains information about the full distribution functions of the particles involved, while fluid models only contains information about the (statistical) moments of the distribution functions. A distribution function tells you how many particles have a particular velocity near a point in space. The zeroth, first, and second moments of this distribution function give you the total number of particles near this point in space (the density), the average velocity, and the temperature.

So, with a fluid model, we can say the fluid is moving with velocity (vx, vy, vz) at point (x, y, z). But that doesn't mean every particle is moving at velocity (vx, vy, vz). If the particles have a Gaussian distribution of velocities (MB distribution of speeds), then a fluid model will probably work fine, since the entire distribution function can be described by just the amplitude, center, and width of the Gaussian, which correspond to the density, velocity, and temperature of the fluid. But if the distribution function has a weird shape which can't be described by a few moments, then the fluid model will be inadequate.

Khashishi said:
I think you have the right idea. Kinetic and fluid models are a sort of coarse-grained model. Both of them treat the plasma as a continuous medium, when in fact it is made up of a large number of particles. This allows us to ask questions like, what is the density of the plasma at a point (x,y,z). The plasma parameters are averaged over a small volume around the point. The number of particles is generally so large that we aren't too concerned about each individual one.

The difference between kinetic and fluid models is that a kinetic model is more complete and contains information about the full distribution functions of the particles involved, while fluid models only contains information about the (statistical) moments of the distribution functions. A distribution function tells you how many particles have a particular velocity near a point in space. The zeroth, first, and second moments of this distribution function give you the total number of particles near this point in space (the density), the average velocity, and the temperature.

So, with a fluid model, we can say the fluid is moving with velocity (vx, vy, vz) at point (x, y, z). But that doesn't mean every particle is moving at velocity (vx, vy, vz). If the particles have a Gaussian distribution of velocities (MB distribution of speeds), then a fluid model will probably work fine, since the entire distribution function can be described by just the amplitude, center, and width of the Gaussian, which correspond to the density, velocity, and temperature of the fluid. But if the distribution function has a weird shape which can't be described by a few moments, then the fluid model will be inadequate.
so happy that finally one put his hand on my confusion :))
at first i apologize as i am a beginner at his topic so my question may appear trivial

you said ' with a fluid model, we can say the fluid is moving with velocity (vx, vy, vz) at point (x, y, z). But that doesn't mean every particle is moving at velocity (vx, vy, vz)' your sentence agree with what i read at books but from my ideas isn't fluid treated a whole as if it has only one average velocity ?? to be more clear if i treat the fluid such water then all species of the following water will move together with average velocity ??

Last edited:
For the most part, yes, but some models will include some effects of finite temperature.

1. What is plasma modeling?

Plasma modeling is a method used by scientists to simulate and study the behavior of plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of charged particles. This modeling technique helps researchers understand the complex interactions and dynamics of plasma in different conditions.

2. Why is plasma modeling important?

Plasma modeling is important because plasma is found in many natural and industrial processes, such as in stars, fusion reactors, and computer chips. By using plasma modeling, scientists can better predict and control the behavior of plasma, leading to advancements in various fields of science and technology.

3. What are the different types of plasma models?

There are several types of plasma models, including fluid models, kinetic models, and hybrid models. Fluid models simplify the behavior of plasma by treating it as a fluid, while kinetic models take into account the individual particles and their interactions. Hybrid models combine aspects of both fluid and kinetic models.

4. How is plasma modeling done?

Plasma modeling is done using various computational techniques and software programs. These models rely on mathematical equations that describe the behavior of plasma based on physical principles and experimental data. The equations are then solved using computer simulations to predict the behavior of plasma in different scenarios.

5. What are the applications of plasma modeling?

Plasma modeling has many applications, including in astrophysics, nuclear fusion research, plasma processing for material synthesis, and plasma medicine. It is also used in developing and optimizing plasma-based technologies, such as plasma thrusters for space propulsion and plasma displays for electronic devices.