Question about kinetic theory and hydrodynamics (in plasmas)

In summary, in the field of plasma physics, it is common to use a combination of kinetic theory for electrons and fluid theory for ions when studying plasma properties or dynamics of electrostatic waves. However, the physical meaning and limits of this approach are not well understood and may vary depending on the specific context. This approach is not commonly seen in the study of space plasmas, but is a general approach in plasma physics courses.
zaki belh
It is usual, in plasma physics, to combine the kinetic description for electron fluid and the hydrodynamic description for ion fluid, when studying the plasma properties or the dynamics of the electrostatic waves.
I am wondering what are the physical meaning and limits of such an approach.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find your question curious. In what context do you find it is “usual” to use kinetic theory for electrons and fluid theory for ions?I did my PhD in plasma physics and do not recall seeing this approach. All of my research was on space plasmas, but the pure plasma physics coursework I took was general since it was taken by students with many interests (fusion, space physics, semiconductor processing, etc).

Likes berkeman

1. What is the kinetic theory of plasmas?

The kinetic theory of plasmas is a scientific model that describes the behavior of a plasma, which is a state of matter that consists of a gas of charged particles. This theory explains how the particles in a plasma interact with each other and with external forces, such as electric and magnetic fields.

2. How does the kinetic theory explain the properties of plasmas?

The kinetic theory explains the properties of plasmas by considering the motion and interactions of the individual particles that make up the plasma. It takes into account factors such as particle collisions, energy transfer, and the effects of electric and magnetic fields on the particles.

3. What is hydrodynamics in the context of plasmas?

Hydrodynamics in the context of plasmas is the study of the motion and behavior of a plasma as a fluid. This approach treats the plasma as a continuous medium rather than individual particles, and uses equations to describe its overall behavior and evolution.

4. How are kinetic theory and hydrodynamics related in the study of plasmas?

Kinetic theory and hydrodynamics are two complementary approaches used to study plasmas. While kinetic theory focuses on the behavior of individual particles, hydrodynamics looks at the overall macroscopic behavior of the plasma as a fluid. Both approaches are necessary for a complete understanding of plasmas.

5. What are some practical applications of kinetic theory and hydrodynamics in plasmas?

Kinetic theory and hydrodynamics have many practical applications in various fields, including astrophysics, nuclear fusion research, and plasma processing technology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of plasmas in these contexts, and help scientists and engineers design and optimize plasma-based systems and devices.