Question about potential energy as a mass approaches infinity

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the consequences of not adopting the ro in the infinite and the difference between the use of U and not using U. The conversation also includes a question about finding the electrostatic potential outside a conducting sphere. The conversation also touches upon the topic of potential energy and the need for references when discussing scientific concepts.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Energy potential
Relevant Equations
U = -GmM/r, ro in the infinite
1588290962918.png

I was thinking, what would be the consequence if we wouldn't adopt the ro in the infinite, and i conclude that it would just irritate the accounts, with one constant more, am i right? Once what matter is the diference between the U, and no the U infact.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you suggesting we don’t need the ##r_0## stuff in the equation?

If I understand correctly what you are asking, here is an exercise for you.
A conducting sphere of radius ##R## carries total charge ##Q##. Find the electrostatic potential outside the sphere (##r>R##) assuming that it is zero at the center of the sphere.

Likes jedishrfu
LCSphysicist said:
I was thinking, what would be the consequence if we wouldn't adopt the ro in the infinite, and i conclude that it would just irritate the accounts, with one constant more, am i right? Once what matter is the diference between the U, and no the U infact.

We are having difficulty understanding what you are asking. Also, you have not given a source for your question. Please give a reference for where you are getting your question from; I suspect that will help make it clearer what the issue is.

Likes jedishrfu
Actualy is a doubt without question, the doubt just came out when i was thinking about potential energy.

Look this: "As with all potential energies, only differences in gravitational potential energy matter for most physical purposes, and the choice of zero point is arbitrary. Given that there is no reasonable criterion for preferring one particular finite r over another, there seem to be only two reasonable choices for the distance at which U becomes zero:
r=0
and {\displaystyle r=\infty }
r=\infty
. "

I was searching in the wikipedia, and with the Kuruman answer, i see the problem in not adopting ro in the infinite
I was thinking if we don't adopt it like that, it could cause some controversy, I see that not. Right?

LCSphysicist said:
Look this

Where is this from? You need to give references, not just quotes without context.

PeterDonis said:
Where is this from? You need to give references, not just quotes without context.
Wikipedia :)

LCSphysicist said:
Wikipedia

You are missing my point. You need to provide a link to the specific article. Just saying "Wikipedia" is no help.

Either provide a link or this thread will be closed. We cannot help you if you refuse to abide by the forum rules concerning references.

What is potential energy as a mass approaches infinity?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. As a mass approaches infinity, the potential energy increases infinitely because the distance between the two objects increases, resulting in a stronger gravitational force.

How is potential energy calculated for a mass approaching infinity?

The potential energy of a mass approaching infinity can be calculated using the formula U = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the relationship between potential energy and distance as a mass approaches infinity?

The relationship between potential energy and distance as a mass approaches infinity is an inverse relationship. As the distance between the two objects increases, the potential energy also increases, and as the distance decreases, the potential energy decreases.

Can potential energy ever reach infinity?

No, potential energy cannot reach infinity. It can approach infinity as the distance between the two objects increases, but it cannot actually reach infinity.

How does potential energy change as a mass approaches infinity?

As a mass approaches infinity, the potential energy increases. This is because the distance between the two objects increases, resulting in a stronger gravitational force and therefore a higher potential energy.