• I
  • Thread starter Kavi
  • Start date
Kavi
Hello,

I understand that an electron in an atom can:

1. Absorb any amount of energy from a photon and become excited
2. It may move to a higher energy orbit or remain in the current orbit
3. To move to a lower energy orbit, it must release excess energy so it is at the ground level of the current orbit (Radiationless Deexcitation)
4. Moving to a lower orbit, it will release a photon with properties dependant on the structure of the atom.

If the above is correct, I want to ask,

The mechanism for 3. above is Radiationless Deexcitation. I wanted to know more about this.

Specifically, why does this happen at other excitation energy levels but not at ground energy levels for any given orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what
Kavi said:
it must release excess energy so it is at the ground level of the current orbit
means.

The state of the electron is quantized, meaning that it can only exists in certain discrete states of energy. To change state, it must receive or give away energy, which is most often through interaction with the electromagnetic field (absorption/emission of photons). But it can also exchange energy through other means, such as collisions. This is how you could have radiation less de-excitation. But the electron cannot lose energy this way "by itself."

Likes Kavi
@Kavi
Describing the structure of an atom in terms of “orbits” is very old fashioned. It fails because there are many other energy states of all but the Hydrogen atom where that simple mechanical model doesn’t work.

In any case, any interaction between charged particles is best described in terms of a photon exchange. Afaik there’s no other magic way for energy to get around in the low energy world of atoms and molecules

Likes Kavi
Thanks guys, the responses helped, and I did some more researching and found what I was looking for.

Basically, what I meant to ask for was the difference between the emission spectrum and the absorption spectrum, but I didnt know to frame the question in those terms.

If I understand this correctly now, then there is some little difference between the two spectrums and they are not pure inversions of each other, the emission spectrum contains wider frequencies than those of the absorption spectrum.

Kavi said:
the difference between the emission spectrum and the absorption spectrum,
You were asking about 'point 3'. if the energy is all internal then there will be no emission or absorption.
Kavi said:
the emission spectrum contains wider frequencies than those of the absorption spectrum.
When we observe absorption spectra, the radiation is often re-radiated but in other directions. hence the apparent dip at certain characteristic frequencies. Other frequencies can cause internal changes which may be permanent or semi permanent.

Likes Kavi
sophiecentaur said:
You were asking about 'point 3'. if the energy is all internal then there will be no emission or absorption.

When we observe absorption spectra, the radiation is often re-radiated but in other directions. hence the apparent dip at certain characteristic frequencies. Other frequencies can cause internal changes which may be permanent or semi permanent.

Hi, thanks for that. I found the below explanation on another site but I am not sure if it is exactly correct?

In the emission spectrum, the electrons in the energy levels usually start at random energy levels and so there is more of a variety of wavelengths that could possibly be emitted.

Whereas in the absorption spectrum, there are a few lines missing because most electrons start from ground state, meaning that there are less options of energies that a photon can be emitted at.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ion-spectrum-than-on-the-emission-spectr?rq=1

Kavi said:
Hi, thanks for that. I found the below explanation on another site but I am not sure if it is exactly correct?
https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ion-spectrum-than-on-the-emission-spectr?rq=1
This is more of an observation than an explanation. I would put it this way:

Emission spectra are generated in regions where there are 'high energy' conditions, with fast electrons around (for instance). Temperatures can be high and so there will be significant numbers of atoms in higher states than the ground state or even ionised.

"Random states" would only occur in very extreme conditions of pressure and temperatures where the energy states are spread (line broadening - look up Pauli Exclusion Principle). But I don't think this applies here: states are not Random or blurred but discrete. The phrasing should be "more possible states".

Absorption spectra are seen in cold regions of gas where most atoms are in the ground state. But the absorbed (star) light will be re-emitted in other directions over the whole sphere. The spectrum of this light will tend to be a single line.

1. How does radiationless de-excitation occur?

Radiationless de-excitation is a process in which an excited atom or molecule returns to its ground state without emitting any electromagnetic radiation. This can happen through various mechanisms such as collisional de-excitation, internal conversion, and intersystem crossing.

2. What is the difference between radiationless de-excitation and fluorescence?

Radiationless de-excitation and fluorescence are both processes that occur when an excited atom or molecule returns to its ground state. The main difference is that fluorescence involves the emission of a photon, while radiationless de-excitation does not. In fluorescence, the energy of the excited state is released as a photon, while in radiationless de-excitation, the energy is transferred to another form, such as heat.

3. Can radiationless de-excitation be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, radiationless de-excitation can be controlled and manipulated by changing the conditions in which it occurs. For example, the rate of collisional de-excitation can be altered by changing the pressure of the surrounding environment. Additionally, the use of certain dyes or materials can enhance or inhibit radiationless de-excitation processes.

4. What are the applications of radiationless de-excitation?

Radiationless de-excitation has various applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used in fluorescence microscopy, where it can help visualize certain molecules and structures. It is also utilized in the development of optoelectronic devices and in the study of energy transfer processes in biological systems.

5. Is radiationless de-excitation harmful to living organisms?

No, radiationless de-excitation is not harmful to living organisms. It is a natural process that occurs in all living systems and is essential for many biological functions. However, excessive exposure to certain types of radiation, such as ionizing radiation, can be harmful to living organisms and their DNA.