Question about regular surfaces

In summary: Additionally, since A is a subset of S, it can also be written as A=U\capS, where U is an open set in R^{3}. Therefore, A is a regular surface if and only if A is open in S.
IvanT
Hello, I have been trying to solve the following problem about regular surfaces from Do Carmo's book of differential geometry of curves and surfaces, section 2-3, exercise 14.

Homework Statement

Problem: Let A[itex]\subset[/itex]S be a subset of a regular surface S. Prove that A is a regular surface if and only if A is open in S; that is, A=U[itex]\cap[/itex]S, where U is an open set in R[itex]^{3}[/itex]

A regular surface is a subset S[itex]\subset[/itex]R[itex]^{3}[/itex] such that for each p[itex]\in[/itex]S, there exists a neighborhood V in R[itex]^{3}[/itex] and a map x: U -> V[itex]\cap[/itex]S of an open set U[itex]\subset[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex] onto V[itex]\cap[/itex]S such that:
1. x is differentiable
2. x is a homeomorphism
3. dx[itex]_{p}[/itex]:R[itex]^{2}[/itex]->R[itex]^{3}[/itex] is one-to-one

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the implication: A open in S [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] A regular surface, my problem is with the other part of the implication. One way to show that A is open in S, is to show that for each point in A there is an open set V of S, containing the point and such that V [itex]\subset[/itex]A, and another way is to show that A=U[itex]\cap[/itex]S, where U is and open set in R[itex]^{3}[/itex].
If A and S are regular surfaces, with A[itex]\subset[/itex]S and p[itex]\in[/itex]A, then I can find a map x[itex]_{s}[/itex]: U->V[itex]_{s}[/itex] and a map x':U'->V[itex]_{a}[/itex] where U and U' are open sets in R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and V[itex]_{s}[/itex] and V[itex]_{a}[/itex] are open sets in S and A respectively, such that conditions 1,2 and 3 are satisfied. However, I don't know how to use this to guarantee the existence of an open set V in S such that p[itex]\in[/itex]V and V [itex]\subset[/itex]A, or and open set in R[itex]^{3}[/itex] such that A=U[itex]\cap[/itex]S.

I would like some tips (not the solution) on how to "attack" the problem. Thanks.
(Sorry if my english is bad).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My solution to this problem would be to first show that A open in S implies A is regular surface, which follows from the fact that open subsets of regular surfaces are regular surfaces. To prove that A regular surface implies A open in S, I would use the fact that for each point p in A, there exists a neighbourhood V in S and a map x:U->V such that x is differentiable, x is a homeomorphism, and dx_{p}:R^{2}->R^{3} is one-to-one. This implies that each point in A has an open neighbourhood in S and thus A is open in S.

Related to Question about regular surfaces

1. What is a regular surface?

A regular surface is a type of mathematical surface that can be described using two-dimensional coordinates, such as x and y. It is smooth and has a well-defined tangent plane at each point.

2. How is a regular surface different from other surfaces?

A regular surface is different from other surfaces in that it is smooth and has a well-defined tangent plane at each point. Other surfaces, such as irregular surfaces or fractal surfaces, may not have these properties.

3. What are some examples of regular surfaces?

Some examples of regular surfaces include a sphere, a cone, a cylinder, and a torus. These surfaces have a well-defined shape and can be described using two-dimensional coordinates.

4. What is the importance of regular surfaces in science?

Regular surfaces are important in science because they provide a way to mathematically describe and study various natural phenomena, such as the shape of the Earth or the behavior of light. They also have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and engineering.

5. How are regular surfaces used in real-world applications?

Regular surfaces are used in various real-world applications, such as creating 3D models in computer graphics, designing buildings and structures in engineering, and studying the behavior of fluids in physics. They also have applications in fields such as geology, biology, and chemistry.