True or false questions about Divergence and Curl

In summary, the statements are discussing the properties of a vector field F defined on a three-dimensional space V, excluding the origin. The vector field is C1 and the statements involve surface and line integrals. The only true statement is that F is conservative in V if the rotation of F is null in V. Other statements may be true if the surface or curve is a closed surface or curve, but the given statements are not specific enough to determine their truth.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
##F = (P,Q,R)## is a field of vector C1 defined on ##V = R3-{0,0,0}##

There are a lot of true or false statement here. I am a little skeptical about my answer because it contains a lot of F, but let's go.

1 Rot of F is null in V iff ##\int \int_{S} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0## for all sphere S belonging to V oriented outside.

2 F is conservative in V iff rot of F is null in V

3 P,Q and R are positive iff ##\int \int_{S} P dx + Q dy + R dz > 0## for all sphere S belonging to V oriented outside.

4 F is gradient in V iff ##\int \int_{S} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0## for all sphere S belonging to V oriented outside.

5 F is null in V iff ##\int \int_{S} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0## for all sphere S belonging to Voriented outside.

6 rot of F is null in V iff ##\int \int_{C} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0# for all circumference oriented with C belonging to V

7 P,Q,R are positie iff ##\int \int_{C} P dx + Q dy + R dz>0## for all circumference C belonging to V

8 F is gradient in V iff ##\int \int_{C} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0## for all circumference C belonging to V

9 F is null in V iff ##\int \int_{C} P dx + Q dy + R dz = 0## for all circumference C belonging to V

To be pretty honest, i am not sure if the author really want to means "if" instead of "iff", or if he commited a typo writing "circumference C" instead of "closed curve C". But in the way it is, i found too much F! see

1 F
2 T
(3 ... 9) F

So only the 2 seems true to me, since R3 minus origin is simply connected and the vector is C1.
All the others answer would be really different if C were just a closed curve, not a circumference. Or if S were a closed surface, not a sphere.
I have some doubts, are my answers right? Or there is some special proeprty about circumference that i am missing that changes all the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all for statements 1,3,4,5 do you mean the surface integral $$\iint_S \vec{F}\cdot \vec{n} dS$$ and for statements 6,7,8,9 do you mean the line integral $$\oint_C\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}$$?

Given that you mean the above, I agree with your answers and also I agree that some would be True if instead of "any sphere S" we had "any closed surface S" or instead of "any circumference C" we had "any closed curve C"

1. What is the difference between divergence and curl?

The divergence of a vector field measures the rate at which the field is expanding or contracting at a given point. It is a scalar quantity. On the other hand, the curl of a vector field measures the rotation or circulation at a given point. It is a vector quantity.

2. How can divergence and curl be calculated?

The divergence can be calculated using the dot product of the del operator (∇) and the vector field. The curl can be calculated using the cross product of the del operator and the vector field.

3. What is the physical significance of divergence and curl?

The divergence represents the flow of a fluid or the flux of a vector field. It is important in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. The curl represents the rotation of a fluid or the circulation of a vector field. It is important in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism as well as in understanding the behavior of spinning objects.

4. Can divergence or curl be negative?

Yes, both divergence and curl can be negative. A negative divergence indicates that the vector field is contracting at a given point, while a negative curl indicates that the vector field is rotating in the opposite direction of the cross product.

5. How do divergence and curl relate to each other?

The divergence and curl are related through the continuity equation, which states that the divergence of a vector field is equal to the negative of its curl. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of vector fields in different physical systems.