Question about relationship between metrics

In summary, the conversation discusses the formalization of the continuity and bijectivity of a mapping between two metric spaces, and the conditions for it to be a homeomorphism and an isometry. It is concluded that a homeomorphism is an isometry when the pullback metric agrees with the given metric.
mnb96
Hello,
Let X and Y be two spaces equipped respectively with two metrics [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex], and let's consider a mapping [itex]f:(X,d_1)\rightarrow(Y,d_2)[/itex]

How can I formalize the fact that for any point x in X, all the points that are "very close" to x (respect to the metric [itex]d_1[/itex]) must be mapped into points in Y that are "very close" to f(x) (with respect to the metric [itex]d_2[/itex]).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're talking about a continuous mapping f between X and Y. You can express this very similar as (for example) in real analysis (epsilon-delta), only you have to invoke the different metrics into your notation. So, for any given ε > 0 there exists some δ > 0 such that d1(p, x) < δ implies d2(f(p), f(x)) < ε - this means that f is continuous at the point p from X. If f is continuous at any point of X, then it is continuous on X.

Ah...I see.
and if I add the requirement that f is bijective I obtain a homeomorphism between X and Y? is it correct?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, along with the condition that the inverse of f is continuous too.

Now here is a point I am still confused with: when is a homeomorphism between
metric spaces as isometry.? I know every isometry is an isomorphism, but not
the other way around ( I guess the homeo. between (0,1) and R is maybe the
clearest counterexample.). Do we need some sort of Lipschitz condition.?
Anyone know.?

Bacle, it's precisely when the pullback metric (if it's a homomorphism, this becomes a metric) agrees with the given metric. It's an interesting result in Riemannian geometry that a homeomorphism which preserves the distance given by the Riemannian metric is actually an isometry (in the Riemannian sense) - in particular, it's smooth.

Related to Question about relationship between metrics

1. How do you define metrics in a relationship?

Metrics in a relationship refer to specific measures or indicators that are used to assess the health and effectiveness of the relationship. These can include things like communication, trust, and satisfaction.

2. What is the importance of tracking metrics in a relationship?

Tracking metrics in a relationship allows for a more objective evaluation of the relationship and can help identify areas that may need improvement. It also provides a way to measure progress and identify patterns or trends over time.

3. Can metrics change over the course of a relationship?

Yes, metrics can change over the course of a relationship as the dynamics and circumstances of the relationship may change. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust metrics to accurately reflect the current state of the relationship.

4. How can metrics be used to improve a relationship?

Metrics can be used to identify areas of strength and weakness in a relationship, allowing for targeted efforts to improve communication, trust, and overall satisfaction. They can also serve as a way to track progress and measure the effectiveness of interventions or changes made in the relationship.

5. Are there any limitations to using metrics in a relationship?

While metrics can provide valuable insights, they should not be the sole determinant of the health of a relationship. It is important to also consider other factors, such as individual differences, external influences, and the overall context of the relationship.