Question about Resultant Forces

In summary, Pablo did the following:- found the degree of the 20N angle using the radian circle- calculated the x,y coordinates for the 250* angle using the radian circle- solved for the angle in degrees mode.
Pablo1122
s7rMLoN.png

Alright, so after looking at this video to do it

I did the following.

F1(65N) = 65cos(30)i+65sin30i

Then using the radian circle I saw that 30* has x,y coordinates of sqrt3/2 and 1/2 respectively. So as shown in the video I did

65(root3/2)i+65(1/2)j

= 56.3i + 32.5j

I did this for the left one too (30N).

But for the one at the bottom (20N) I get the degree of it to be 250. (270-20) = 250.

250* is not on the radian circle so how can I write 250* in terms of x,y coordinates?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Pablo, :welcome:

Please post in the homework forum (and make good use of the template there!)

180-20 = 250 seems strange to me. But 270 - 20 - 250 and that's the right angle. Why do you say it's not on the radian circle ? Does that go from ##-\pi## to ##+ \pi## ? If so, how far from 0 to 270 when starting at 0 ?

BvU said:
Hello Pablo, :welcome:

Please post in the homework forum (and make good use of the template there!)

180-20 = 250 seems strange to me. But 270 - 20 - 250 and that's the right angle. Why do you say it's not on the radian circle ? Does that go from ##-\pi## to ##+ \pi## ? If so, how far from 0 to 270 when starting at 0 ?
Oh you I wrote it wrong, I meant to write 270-20 = 250.
circle-unit-304560.gif

But if we look at this radian circle. We see that 240* = (-1/2, -sqrt3/2) and then it goes to 270* = (0,-1). How can I find the x,y coordinates for 250* and use it in the equation?

And sorry about posting in the wrong section, I'll fix it next time. Do I need to repost this to the homework section or is it fine?

I see. 250 degrees isn't in the list. Calculators (or spreadsheets) not allowed ? You need ##\ \cos 250^\circ\ ## and ##\ \sin 250^\circ##

Thread will be moved by a moderator, don't worry.

BvU said:
I see. 250 degrees isn't in the list. Calculators (or spreadsheets) not allowed ? You need ##\ \cos 250^\circ\ ## and ##\ \sin 250^\circ##

Oh my bad I posted it over there already. I 'll see if I can delete it.

Ya we can use calculators but maybe I am doing it wrong. Should it be in degrees or radians?

BvU said:

Ooh, I can just do it on my calculator? I assumed you'd have to use the radian circle. Well... I feel dumb. Thanks a lot though :)

And I already posted it to the homework section again but I'll post that it's been solved. Thanks again.

When in radians mode your angle is ##250^\circ \displaystyle {\pi\over 180^\circ}##

-- lots of people blindly type in an angle in the wrong mode and end up with nonsense (and marks lost), so be warned.

Related to Question about Resultant Forces

What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that represents the combined effect of all the individual forces acting on an object. It is the net force that determines the overall motion of an object.

How is resultant force calculated?

Resultant force is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on an object together, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition or by using the equation F = ma, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the object, and a is its acceleration.

What is the difference between a balanced and an unbalanced resultant force?

A balanced resultant force is when all the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in no overall movement. An unbalanced resultant force is when the individual forces do not cancel each other out, resulting in a net force and causing the object to accelerate in a certain direction.

Why is resultant force important in physics?

Resultant force is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. By calculating the resultant force, we can determine if an object will move, how fast it will move, and in what direction it will move. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in the physical world.

What are some real-world examples of resultant forces?

Some real-world examples of resultant forces include pushing a car up a hill, a rocket launching into space, a person walking on a sloped surface, and a ball rolling down a hill. In each of these examples, there are multiple individual forces acting on the object, and the resultant force determines the resulting motion.