Question about simplifying Sigma notation

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression ∑i=1log(n) 1(log(n) - i) to just log(n). The person is struggling to understand why this is the case and asks for help. They are then asked to explain what ##e_i=1^{\text{ insert any integer }}## and ##\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i## are and how many terms are in the sum. The person eventually realizes that there are log(n) terms and each term is 1 raised to a different exponent. They thank everyone for their help.
RoboNerd
Hello everyone!

I have this expression which I have to simplify:
i=1log(n) 1(log(n) - i)

And my book apparently simplifies it to being log(n).
I am struggling to figure out why this is the case. Could anyone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##e_i=1^{\text{ insert any integer }}## and what is ##\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i## if you write it out with dots? And finally set ##a_i=e_i##.

Firstly, how many terms are there in the sum - ie how many things are being added together?

Secondly, what is the value of each term? What do you get when you raise 1 to the power of any other real number?

EDIT: Uh oh - Jinxed again!

Ohh, I see thanks!

We add 1 log(n) times over and over again!

Thanks for the help everyone!

What is Sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation that is used to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is often written as Σ with the numbers and their corresponding variable written below.

Why is Sigma notation used?

Sigma notation is used to simplify and condense long sums or series of numbers. It allows for a more compact and efficient way of writing mathematical expressions.

How do you simplify Sigma notation?

To simplify Sigma notation, you must first identify the pattern of the numbers being summed. Then, use the appropriate formula or rule to find the simplified expression.

What are some common rules used in simplifying Sigma notation?

Some common rules used in simplifying Sigma notation include the sum of a constant, the sum of a constant multiple, the sum of consecutive numbers, and the sum of squares or cubes.

How can Sigma notation be used in real-world applications?

Sigma notation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to represent and solve real-world problems involving the summation of a large number of values. It is also commonly used in mathematical proofs and calculations.