Question about spectrometer data

In summary, the conversation discusses a picture of a plasma spectrum from a copper plate. The Roman numerals on the spectrum indicate the ionization state of the atoms, with I representing a neutral atom and III representing an atom with two electrons removed. The multiple element names on a single peak are due to the close wavelengths and may indicate a combination of lines. The numbers in brackets may refer to the strength of the lines.
DariusP
Hello, I want to ask about this picture. This is a one bit of plasma spectrum from copper plate. Does anyone know what those romanic numbers (I, II, III) mean or what those numbers in [ ] mean? Also why am I seeing multiple element names on a single peak? I am so confused...
P.S. The x-axis is wavelength, and y-axis is intensity.
upload_2018-12-9_19-10-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-9_19-8-47.png
    upload_2018-12-9_19-8-47.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 360
  • upload_2018-12-9_19-10-10.png
    upload_2018-12-9_19-10-10.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
The Roman numerals are used to denote the ionization state of the atoms where the transition is occurring. I means a neutral atom. II means an atom with one electron removed. III means an atom with two electrons removed, and so on. So O-IV is an oxygen atom with 3 electrons removed. N-III is a nitrogen atom with two electrons removed, and so forth. There are multiple lines on those peaks because the wavelengths are so close together. The line may be anyone of those lines, or (more likely) a combination. I'm not sure what the numbers in brackets refer to, but I think they denote the strength of the lines.

1. What is a spectrometer and how does it work?

A spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths. It works by separating light into its individual wavelengths using a diffraction grating or prism. The intensity of light at each wavelength is then measured and recorded to create a spectrum.

2. What types of data can be obtained from a spectrometer?

A spectrometer can provide a variety of data, including the intensity of light at different wavelengths, the absorption or emission spectra of a sample, and the concentration of a particular substance in a sample. It can also be used to identify unknown substances based on their unique spectra.

3. How accurate and precise is spectrometer data?

The accuracy and precision of spectrometer data depend on various factors, such as the quality of the instrument, the calibration process, and the skill of the operator. Generally, spectrometer data is highly accurate and precise, with a margin of error of less than 1%. However, this can vary depending on the specific application and conditions.

4. Can spectrometer data be affected by external factors?

Yes, spectrometer data can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and vibrations. These factors can cause small fluctuations in the measurements, which can be accounted for through calibration and proper experimental controls.

5. How is spectrometer data used in scientific research?

Spectrometer data is used in a wide range of scientific research, including chemistry, physics, biology, and environmental science. It can be used to analyze the composition of substances, study light-matter interactions, and monitor changes in the environment. Spectrometer data is also used in quality control and process monitoring in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food production.