Question about the atomic structure of insulators

In summary: This understanding is not correct. When a valence electron is bumped from its shell, the energy is not evenly split among the electrons in the shell. It depends on the specific bonding structure and the energy levels of the electrons.In summary, the discussion is about the maximum number of electrons that can be in an atom's outer shell, with the maximum being 32. It also touches on the ideal number of electrons for conductors and insulators, with lower numbers being better for conductors and higher numbers being better for insulators. However, the statement about 7 or 8 being ideal for insulators is not entirely accurate and depends on the bonding structure of the atom. The understanding about the splitting of energy among electrons in the outer shell is
theelectrician
I'm an apprentice electrician taking night courses. My question isn't a specific mathematical problem. It's a query about a concept. Please let me know if there's a better way/place I can ask it.

My text say that atoms can have a max of 32 electrons per shell, with 1-3 being ideal for conductors, and 7 or 8 being ideal for insulators. My understanding is that when a valence electron is bumped from its shell, if there is only one electron in that shell, it will take on all of the energy. if there are two electrons in that shell, each will take on half. If an insulator has eight electrons in the outer shell, the energy will be split eight ways. Please tell me if this understanding is correct.

My questions:

Why are 7 or 8 ideal numbers for an insulator? If you had 20 electrons in the outer shell, and the energy was divided into twentieths, wouldn't that be a better insulator? Why isn't the best insulator an atom that has 32 electrons in its outer shell, thereby dividing the energy 32 ways?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My text say that atoms can have a max of 32 electrons per shell
That is not true. Shell n has space for 2n2 electrons. In the ground state (!), for all natural atoms and all atoms produced so far, the actual number does not exceed 32, where element 126 could be an atom to exceed this number - but so far, we just discovered the elements up to 118.

with 1-3 being ideal for conductors, and 7 or 8 being ideal for insulators.
Where does that come from? Atoms with a small number of outer electrons tend to need lower energies to free an electron, but that depends on the binding structure in solids. Metallic bonds usually give a good conductivity, covalent and ionic bonds give a bad one (as they do not have free electrons).
I guess that statement just refers to s and p orbitals - and then you can have a maximum of 8 in the outermost shell.

My understanding is that when a valence electron is bumped from its shell, if there is only one electron in that shell, it will take on all of the energy. if there are two electrons in that shell, each will take on half. If an insulator has eight electrons in the outer shell, the energy will be split eight ways. Please tell me if this understanding is correct.
No.

1. What is an insulator?

An insulator is a material that does not easily allow the flow of electricity. This is because the electrons in an insulator are tightly bound to their atoms and are not able to move freely.

2. How does the atomic structure of an insulator differ from that of a conductor?

In an insulator, the valence electrons are held tightly by the nucleus and are not able to move easily. In contrast, in a conductor, the valence electrons are able to move freely throughout the material, allowing for the flow of electricity.

3. What factors determine the ability of a material to act as an insulator?

The atomic structure of a material plays a significant role in its ability to act as an insulator. Materials with tightly bound electrons, such as those with a full outer electron shell, tend to be good insulators. Additionally, the distance between atoms and the presence of impurities can also affect a material's insulating properties.

4. How does the band gap of an insulator impact its properties?

The band gap of an insulator is the energy gap between the valence band, where the electrons are tightly bound, and the conduction band, where the electrons are able to move freely. A larger band gap means that it takes more energy for electrons to move from the valence band to the conduction band, making it more difficult for electricity to flow through the material.

5. Can an insulator become a conductor under certain conditions?

Yes, an insulator can become a conductor under certain conditions. For example, if the temperature is increased, the atoms in an insulator will vibrate more and may loosen their grip on the electrons, allowing for electricity to flow. Additionally, if a strong enough electric field is applied, it can overcome the band gap and cause the material to conduct.