Question about the Big Bang and CMB

In summary, the cosmic microwave background (CMB) is not directly from the Big Bang, but rather from a phenomenon called recombination. This is the final bit of thermal radiation from the hot plasma that filled the early universe and was able to travel freely once the universe became transparent to EM radiation. The age of this radiation is inferred through various methods such as the proportions of different types of stars and the Hubble constant. The impact of the discovery of CMB was significant due to its prediction prior to its actual observation. There is a debate among epistemologists on the weight of evidence from prediction compared to postdiction. However, psychologically, prediction tends to hold more weight.
BadgerBadger92
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
This may seem like a naive or obvious question, which is why I posted it here.

How do we know the cosmic microwave background came from the Big Bang? How can we tell how old radiation is?

Physics news on Phys.org
BadgerBadger92 said:
How do we know the cosmic microwave background came from the Big Bang?

It didn't. Not directly at least. It is from an event known as recombination. The CMB is the final bit of thermal radiation from the hot plasma that filled the early universe. It was simply the radiation that was released just prior to, and during, the transition from a plasma that was opaque to EM radiation to a gas of hydrogen and helium that was transparent to EM radiation. Basically, as the universe aged and expanded, the plasma cooled and became less dense. Eventually it reached a point where it had cooled sufficiently for protons to recombine with electrons to form atoms.

Prior to recombination this thermal radiation was simply reabsorbed by the plasma. However, once the universe became transparent to EM radiation that final bit that was emitted right at the transition was able to travel freely. This is what we see when we look at the CMB except that it's been redshifted substantially by expansion.

BadgerBadger92 said:
How can we tell how old radiation is?

It's quite complicated, as we can't directly measure the age of the universe or of the light. Instead we have to infer the ages based on other things, such as the proportions of different types of stars in star clusters, the temperature of white dwarfs, and the Hubble constant. I wish I had a good article to send you to, but I do not. Perhaps someone else here can give you a good reference.

Thank you so much! This is of great help!

There could be a psychological reason why your question has not been very much asked. If CMB had just been discovered and someone afterwards had said hey, I think I've got a fantastic explanation, people might have been persuaded round to the idea more gradually and grudgingly. But when it was predicted I think people said, oh interesting maybe, h'mm, but no one can actually see this radiation - until then! , suddenly one day 15 years after it had been predicted it showed up, found by people some of whom didn't even know it was supposed to exist, and had properties pretty much as predicted, that discovery sequence somehow had more impact.

I think epistemologists have debated whether something being predicted gives more weight as evidence than the same explanation of the same phenomena given after their discovery. I don't know whether they reached an agreed conclusion. It seems to me that logically the status is the same in the two cases. But psychologically prediction convinces much more than postdiction.

Likes Drakkith

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that around 13.8 billion years ago, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What is the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB)?

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. It is a faint signal of microwave radiation that permeates throughout the universe and is one of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

How was the CMB discovered?

The CMB was accidentally discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, two radio astronomers who were trying to eliminate background noise from their radio telescope. They found a persistent background noise that they could not eliminate, and it turned out to be the CMB.

What does the CMB tell us about the early universe?

The CMB provides valuable information about the early universe, such as its temperature and composition. It also confirms predictions made by the Big Bang theory, such as the universe being initially hot and dense and then expanding and cooling over time.

How is the CMB used to study the universe?

Scientists use the CMB to study the large-scale structure of the universe, as well as to gather information about the age, size, and contents of the universe. It also allows for the testing of various cosmological theories and models that attempt to explain the origins of the universe.