Questions about the Location of the Big Bang and the Age of the Universe

SilverMain
Assumed facts:
Galaxies are traveling at velocities that cause very little compression of space.
The big bang occurred at one point in space and all matter is moving away from this location.
The universe is continuing to expand
The farthest galaxies are about 92 billion light years apart or 46 billion radius.

Question 1: Is there a location of the big bang where no matter exists because all matter has vector moving away from this point?
Question 2: If the galaxies have traveled 46 billion light years away from each other but at velocities well below 1% of light speed how can the universe only be 13.7 billion or 26.7 billion years old?

Space news on Phys.org
SilverMain said:
compression of space
What do you mean by "compression of space"?

SilverMain said:
The big bang occurred at one point in space and all matter is moving away from this location.
This is not correct.

Since your questions are based on a false premise, I think you need to rethink them.

Likes Miss Understanding
SilverMain said:
The big bang occurred everywhere - it is not an explosion from a point.
SilverMain said:
The farthest galaxies are about 92 billion light years apart or 46 billion radius.
The farthest ones we can see are that far apart. Our current best model is that the universe is infinite in extent, and if it is not infinite it is "closed" which means that you can set off in a straight line and return to your starting point (although such universes can also have a big crunch, and you may not have time to circumnavigate them).
SilverMain said:
Question 1: Is there a location of the big bang where no matter exists because all matter has vector moving away from this point?
No
SilverMain said:
Question 2: If the galaxies have traveled 46 billion light years away from each other but at velocities well below 1% of light speed how can the universe only be 13.7 billion or 26.7 billion years old?
Defining velocity in curved spacetime turns out to be quite complicated. In some senses very distant galaxies are moving much faster than the speed of light compared to us (and this is not a problem because "nothing can exceed the speed of light" is a simplification of "nothing can leave its future lightcone", which remains correct). In others they are more or less stationary but the distance between them grows (this is the sense people use when they talk about "the universe is expanding"). Either way, the answer is "importing everyday assumptions into curved spacetime will come back to bite you surprisingly quickly".

Last edited:
SilverMain said:
There are a number of Insights here on the Big Bang. These might be worth reading:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/big-bang-happen/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/velocity-universe-expand-can-faster-light/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/radius-observable-universe-light-years-greater-age/

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "compression of space"?This is not correct.

Since your questions are based on a false premise, I think you need to rethink them.
My understanding is from some reading and internet reading so I know I have a small understand which is the source for my questions

Large masses in space - say the mass of our sun cause space to bend and/or light to bend - for my conceptual understanding i see this as space being compressed around a very large mass

From the sources i have read about big bang- the initial size of the big bang is very small. If this is incorrect I would love a link or explanation to correct my knowledge base

SilverMain said:
Large masses in space - say the mass of our sun cause space to bend and/or light to bend -

The Sun determines the spacetime geometry. The usual geometric term is curvature. There's little point in changing this to compression.

From the sources i have read about big bang- the initial size of the big bang is very small. If this is incorrect I would love a link or explanation to correct my knowledge base
If the universe is infinite, then it has always been jnfjnite. The key point is that at the big bang it was very dense. That said, the current observable universe was much smaller.

Many sources do not distinguish between universe and observable universe. Nor between dense and pointlike. Which they should.

SilverMain said:
for my conceptual understanding i see this as space being compressed around a very large mass
You should not, because it is wrong.

Likes Vanadium 50
SilverMain said:
Large masses in space - say the mass of our sun cause space to bend and/or light to bend - for my conceptual understanding i see this as space being compressed around a very large mass
That's not a particularly helpful image. Spacetime is curved, and its often not the curvature of (what you might call) space that is the important bit.
SilverMain said:
From the sources i have read about big bang- the initial size of the big bang is very small.
You are either confusing the observable universe with the entire universe, reading something that's talking specifically about a "closed" universe, or reading bad sources. The observable universe is the finite region that we can see, and it was once very small, but is not the entire universe. The universe itself was only ever very small if it's actually a "closed" universe, which is not ruled out by observation but is most definitely not a certainty. In any case the Big Bang was everywhere.

SilverMain said:
Large masses in space - say the mass of our sun cause space to bend
No, they cause spacetime to curve (the curvature is in four dimensions so "bend" is too simplistic a description).

SilverMain said:
and/or light to bend
The paths of light rays in spacetime are geodesics--i.e., the curved spacetime analogues of straight lines.

SilverMain said:
for my conceptual understanding i see this as space being compressed around a very large mass
This is not a good conceptual understanding.

1. Where did the Big Bang happen?

The Big Bang did not occur at a specific point in space as commonly misconceived. Instead, it happened everywhere in the universe at once. The universe does not expand from a particular center but expands uniformly. This means that the Big Bang was not an explosion in space, but rather an expansion of space itself.

2. How old is the universe?

The universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old. This age is estimated based on measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and observations of distant galaxies and their movements. These measurements are consistent with the theoretical models derived from the Big Bang theory.

3. Can we locate the center of the universe?

There is no center of the universe according to the standard cosmological models. The universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales, which means it looks the same in all directions and from all points. Since it has no edge or center, all points in the universe are essentially equivalent in terms of its expansion.

4. How can we observe the Big Bang?

We cannot observe the Big Bang directly since it is an event that occurred billions of years ago. However, scientists observe its remnants through the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. The CMB is the afterglow of the Big Bang, providing a snapshot of the infant universe when it was just 380,000 years old, and it offers crucial clues about the universe's early conditions and subsequent evolution.

5. Has the universe always been expanding at the same rate?

No, the rate of expansion of the universe has not been constant. Initially, it is believed that there was a period of rapid expansion called inflation. Following this period, the expansion slowed down, influenced by gravity. However, in more recent times, observations suggest that the expansion is accelerating due to a mysterious force termed dark energy. The exact nature of dark energy is still one of the major unsolved problems in cosmology.