Question about The derivation of Lorentz equation in “The Behaviour of Measuring rods and clocks in motion”

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in understanding the Lorentz transformation and its applications in Einstein's Special and General Theory. They are advised to provide more information about the book and the specific problem they are trying to solve in order to receive more helpful answers. It is suggested that they may be trying to derive the time dilation formula, but they should show their work so others can assist them in the difficult parts. The conversation also clarifies that the given values for ##x## and ##t## are not the same as the values for ##x'## and ##t'##, and that the first and fourth equations of the Lorentz transformation can be used to find the values of ##t'##.
Nagisa Kawahara
TL;DR Summary
Very confusing indeed.. How should I use the First and fourth Lorentz equation to get the t and t’ ??
image.jpg
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You will get better and more helpful answers if you would tell us what book you're working from (the historians among us will recognize it but that's not somethng you should count on)and what problem you're trying to solve (we can guess, but again you shouldn't count on us guessing right).

My guess is that you're trying to derive either the length contraction formula or the time dilation formula... but if so you should show your work up to where you got stuck and we can help you past the hard spot.

This book is available online. The photos in the OP are from https://www.bartleby.com/173/12.html. The first and fourth equations referred to are in the previous chapter, and are the ##x## and ##t## transforms. This is all information you really should have given in your first post.

All you are being asked to do is substitute the given values ##x## and ##t## into those formulae to get the corresponding ##t'## values. I don't see what's difficult about that. If that's not what you are trying to do, you need to explain more.

Ibix said:
This book is available online. The photos in the OP are from https://www.bartleby.com/173/12.html. The first and fourth equations referred to are in the previous chapter, and are the ##x## and ##t## transforms. This is all information you really should have given in your first post.

All you are being asked to do is substitute the given values ##x## and ##t## into those formulae to get the corresponding ##t'## values. I don't see what's difficult about that. If that's not what you are trying to do, you need to explain more.
I’ve been looking for the value of x and t but in the passage they only give the value of x’ and t’. Or is it actually the same value for both x and x’, and, t and t’? So i cannot derive the formula and get the equation in the passage. My confusion is in the passage:
“The first and fourth equations of the Lorentz transformation give for these two ticks: t=0 and t’= one over square root of one minus v square over c square.”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 93
Nugatory said:
You will get better and more helpful answers if you would tell us what book you're working from (the historians among us will recognize it but that's not somethng you should count on)and what problem you're trying to solve (we can guess, but again you shouldn't count on us guessing right).

My guess is that you're trying to derive either the length contraction formula or the time dilation formula... but if so you should show your work up to where you got stuck and we can help you past the hard spot.
I think its the time dilation formula because it involves the two ticks of a clock. But i’m new to this, so i was hoping that someone could give an explanation as to the purpose of the Lorentz Equation and the way to derive the formula to get the equation of the two ticks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 93
Nagisa Kawahara said:
I think its the time dilation formula because it involves the two ticks of a clock. But i’m new to this, so i was hoping that someone could give an explanation as to the purpose of the Lorentz Equation and the way to derive the formula to get the equation of the two ticks.
Its from the book “The special and general theory by Albert Einstein”

Nagisa Kawahara said:
I’ve been looking for the value of x and t but in the passage they only give the value of x’ and t’. Or is it actually the same value for both x and x’, and, t and t’? So i cannot derive the formula and get the equation in the passage. My confusion is in the passage:
“The first and fourth equations of the Lorentz transformation give for these two ticks: t=0 and t’= one over square root of one minus v square over c square.”
##x=0##, ##t=0## and ##x=0##, ##t=1##. It says so in your first picture.

Likes Nagisa Kawahara

1. What is the Lorentz equation and what does it describe?

The Lorentz equation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. It explains how measurements of length and time intervals change when an object is moving at high speeds.

2. Who derived the Lorentz equation and when?

The Lorentz equation was derived by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century. It was later refined and incorporated into Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity in 1905.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz equation in physics?

The Lorentz equation is significant because it helped to explain the discrepancies observed in the measurements of time and length between stationary and moving objects. It also laid the foundation for Einstein's theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

4. How is the Lorentz equation derived in "The Behaviour of Measuring rods and clocks in motion"?

In this paper, Lorentz uses mathematical transformations to describe how the measurements of length and time intervals change for an observer moving at a constant velocity. He also introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction to explain these changes.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Lorentz equation?

Yes, the Lorentz equation has many practical applications, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction on particles moving at high speeds in particle accelerators. It is also used in GPS technology to correct for the effects of relativity on satellite clocks.