Inductor Role in Time Constant of a DC Circuit

In summary, in this conversation, the effect of increasing the number of turns in the coil of wire in a d.c circuit was discussed. The conclusion was that the maximum current decreases and the time to reach it increases due to the increased back emf and opposition to change in current caused by the increased inductance. This also introduces resistance in a real-life coil, affecting the time constant, which is the time taken for the current to reach its maximum value. Additional resources were provided for further understanding.
ah4p
A d.c circuit consists of a switch, lamp and inductor.
The inductor is replaced with an inductor with twice the number of turns in the coil of wire, nothing else about it is changed.
State the effect on
A) maximum current
B) the time to reach max current

I thought increasing the turns would increase the current
and also increase the time taken since the back emf would also be greater

but the answer is
max current decreases
and time to reach it increases

can anyone explain why?
thanks v much in advance
smile.png

Physics news on Phys.org
voltage= inductance * di/dt

since its dc, the voltage ends up zero.
Inductors "oppose" change in current.
More inductance, more opposition, eg slower change in current.
Thus it takes more time to reach the same dc current (whatever that is).

A) Well what do turns do to L? and what does L do to current?

B) what is the expression for the time constant? how does L affect the time constant?

[moderator note: Removed and moved new question to new thread]

Pythagorean said:
A) Well what do turns do to L? and what does L do to current?

B) what is the expression for the time constant? how does L affect the time constant?

thanks for your reply :)

L opposes current and I think more turns creates a bigger back emf but I don't know why and I don't know what more turns does to L

I have never heard of time constant (I'm doing SQA Advanced Higher Physics) but I assume it's how long it take to reach max. current so I'd say a bigger L means the time taken for current to reach its maximum is longer?

tjanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are claiming that the maximum current decreases then they are implying that adding turns to the coil not only adds inductance, but also resistance. This will be true for a real-life coil made of wire with inherent resistivity, as opposed to a theoretically ideal inductor which has no resistance.

gneill said:
If they are claiming that the maximum current decreases then they are implying that adding turns to the coil not only adds inductance, but also resistance. This will be true for a real-life coil made of wire with inherent resistivity, as opposed to a theoretically ideal inductor which has no resistance

ah ok thank you very much for your quick reply :)

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a wire wound into a coil and is typically made of a conductive material such as copper or aluminum.

2. How does an inductor work?

An inductor works by resisting changes in the flow of current through it. When a current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field stores energy, which can then be released when the current flow is interrupted.

3. What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the Henry (H), named after American scientist Joseph Henry. It is a measure of the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field of an inductor.

4. What are some common applications of inductors?

Inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted signals, reduce electromagnetic interference, and store energy. They are also used in power supplies, motors, and generators.

5. How do I calculate the inductance of an inductor?

The inductance of an inductor can be calculated using the formula L = (μN^2A)/l, where μ is the permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. You can also use an inductance meter to measure the inductance of an inductor.