Please see below
Relevant Equations
P(X = a) = ##\int_{a}^{a} f(x) dx = 0##

Derivative of CDF = PDF
This is part of my note:

1698917832590.png

Now, this is practice question:

1698917939070.png

I want to ask why P(X = 2) is not zero, because from the note: P{X = a} = ##\int_{a}^{a} f(x) dx=0## ?

If I differentiate F(x), I will get f(x) which is the pdf, then using the pdf to find P(X = 2), I think I will get zero as the probability.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

there is something fundamentally wrong with your relevant equation: the right hand side is zero !
(as you discovered :smile: )

Probability density ##f## is defined such that ##f(x) \, \bf dx## is the probability to find something in an interval [x, x+dx]

Since the probability to find something somewhere is 1, PDFs tend to be normalized:$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \,dx = 1 $$ and that's what should help you find the answer...

[edit] adapt notation ##f## for probability density

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes songoku
songoku said:
If I differentiate F(x)

Have you been introduced to the properties of the Dirac delta function ?

I must confess the given information : P(2) = 1/2 is highly confusing. You sure it's not F(2) = 1/2 ?

[edit] but that conflicts with ##F## given for ##x\ge 2## - - - is there an error in the problem statement ?

Advice: assume a value for ##a##, use the fact that ##F(+\infty)=1## and sketch ##F## and ##P##.

##\ ##

Likes songoku
BvU said:
Hi,

there is something fundamentally wrong with your relevant equation: the right hand side is zero !
(as you discovered :smile: )
Do you mean the formula I wrote in "relevant equation" is wrong?

P(X = a) = ##\int^{a}_{a} f(x) dx=0## is not correct?

BvU said:
Have you been introduced to the properties of the Dirac delta function ?
No, I have not been introduced to that terrifying function

BvU said:
I must confess the given information : P(2) = 1/2 is highly confusing. You sure it's not F(2) = 1/2 ?
What I post is the exact question and up until this moment there is no revision to the question

I am not sure whether the question is somewhat similar or related to this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-distribution-function.1056469/#post-6957692

I can do the question in that thread but now I think about it, why P(X ≤ i) and P(X < i) is not the same and why P(X = i) is not zero? Because from the note, P(X < a) = P(X ≤ a) = ##\int_{-\infty}^{a} f(x) dx##

Thanks

I’m no expert but a couple of thoughts...

The given CDF consists of 3 'steps'. That means we are dealing with a system with 3 discrete ‘allowed states’ at ##x=-1##, ##x=1## and ##x=2## such that:
##f(x=-1) = p##
##f(x=1) = q##
##f(x=2) = r##
where ##p+q+r=1##.
Otherwise ##f(x) = 0##.

EDIT
I suspect (like @BvU) that there is a mistake in the question. If ##P(X=2) =1/2## should actually be ##f(x=2) = 1/2##, the question is then easily answered
(only simple algebra/arithmetic needed).

Last edited:
Likes songoku
songoku said:
Do you mean the formula I wrote in "relevant equation" is wrong?

P(X = a) = ##\int^{a}_{a} f(x) dx=0## is not correct?
It is correct, but then what can we say about the given ##P(X=2)={1\over 2} ## ? When the relevant equation clearly states ##P(X=z) = 0 ## for any ##z## ?

No, I have not been introduced to that terrifying function
Then the other thread is also a mystery to you ? Or do you understand that your PDF is the sum of three delta functions with different 'amplitude' ?

What I post is the exact question and up until this moment there is no revision to the question
Fair enough,, but that doesn't guarantee that there is no mistake ... :rolleyes:

BvU said:
Advice: assume a value for a, use the fact that F(+∞)=1 and sketch F and P.
songoku said:
I am not sure whether the question is somewhat similar or related to this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-distribution-function.1056469/#post-6957692

I can do the question in that thread but now I think about it, why P(X ≤ i) and P(X < i) is not the same and why P(X = i) is not zero? Because from the note, P(X < a) = P(X ≤ a) = ##\int_{-\infty}^{a} f(x) dx##

Thanks
Seems to me that one is still open too ...

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Derivative of CDF = PDF
Fine, but what happens when the CDF cannot be differentiated?

songoku said:
I want to ask why P(X = 2) is not zero
Because P(X=2) is given in the question and is 0.5.

songoku said:
because from the note: P{X = a} = ##\int_{a}^{a} f(x) dx=0## ?
Because the note only applies where the CDF is differentiable (and where the PDF is integrable). The CDF in the question clearly has a step discontinuity at ## x=2 ##.

Steve4Physics said:
##f(x=-1) = p##
##f(x=1) = q##
##f(x=2) = r##
where ##p+q+r=1##.
Otherwise ##f(x) = 0##.
Looks good to me.

Steve4Physics said:
I suspect (like @BvU) that there is a mistake in the question. If ##P(X=2) =1/2## should actually be ##f(x=2) = 1/2##, the question is easily answered (only simple algebra/arithmetic needed).
I don't see a mistake - why do you think ## P(X=2) ## can't be ## \frac 1 2 ##?

Likes songoku, SammyS and Steve4Physics
pbuk said:
I don't see a mistake - why do you think ## P(X=2) ## can't be ## \frac 1 2 ##?
There is no problem with ##P(X=2)= \frac 12##.

I messed up. I thought that the equation ## P(X=a) = \int_a^a f(x) dx = 0## (in Post #1) was part of the question. But it is not part of the question and isn’t relevant here (as we are not dealing with a continuous probability distribution).

EDITED

Last edited:
Likes songoku and pbuk
pbuk said:
Fine, but what happens when the CDF cannot be differentiated?

Because the note only applies where the CDF is differentiable (and where the PDF is integrable). The CDF in the question clearly has a step discontinuity at ## x=2 ##.
Ahh I see, so that's my mistake.
BvU said:
Then the other thread is also a mystery to you ? Or do you understand that your PDF is the sum of three delta functions with different 'amplitude' ?
Not a mystery anymore (but I still don't understand about delta function and have not learned about it)

Thank you very much for all the help and explanation BvU, Steve4Physics, pbuk

1. What is a PDF file?

A PDF file, or Portable Document Format file, is a file format used to present and exchange documents reliably, independent of software, hardware, or operating system.

2. What are the properties of a PDF file?

PDF files are platform-independent, meaning they can be viewed on any device with a PDF reader. They are also secure, as they can be password-protected and encrypted. Additionally, PDF files are compact, preserving the original layout and formatting of the document.

3. Can a PDF file be edited?

PDF files can be edited using various software programs, such as Adobe Acrobat. However, some PDF files may be password-protected or have restrictions that prevent editing.

4. How do I create a PDF file?

To create a PDF file, you can use a variety of methods, such as converting a document from a word processing program to PDF format, or using a PDF printer to save a file as a PDF.

5. Are PDF files searchable?

PDF files can be made searchable by using optical character recognition (OCR) technology, which converts scanned text into searchable and editable text. This allows users to search for specific words or phrases within a PDF document.