Thermodynamics adding ice to water problem with latent heat

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of ice, mI, added to a container of water with known initial mass, mW, and temperatures, TW and TI, in order to reach a final temperature of Tf. The specific heats of ice and water, cI and cW, and the latent heat of fusion for water, Lf, are also given. The correct expression for mI is:mI = (mW(cW(TW-Tf) + Lf + cI(Tf-TI))) / (cI(Tf-TI) + Lf)
MattNguyen

Homework Statement

Initially you have mW = 4.6 kg of water at TW = 74°C in an insulated container. You add ice at TI = -19°C to the container and the mix reaches a final, equilibrium temperature of Tf = 33°C. The specific heats of ice and water are cI = 2.10×103 J/(kg⋅°C) and cW = 4.19×103 J/(kg⋅°C), respectively, and the latent heat of fusion for water is Lf = 3.34×105 J/kg.

Enter an expression for the mass of ice you added, in terms of the defined quantities.

Homework Equations

Q=mL
Q=mcT

The Attempt at a Solution

I set this up and then solved for MI: mW(TW-Tf)CW - mI(Tf-TI)CI = (mW + MI)L
The program said that there were additional terms in the numerator and denominator, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
mI =​
( mW ( TW - Tf ) cW - mW Lf )/( Lf + ( Tf - TI ) cI )|

Physics news on Phys.org
MattNguyen said:

Homework Statement

Initially you have mW = 4.6 kg of water at TW = 74°C in an insulated container. You add ice at TI = -19°C to the container and the mix reaches a final, equilibrium temperature of Tf = 33°C. The specific heats of ice and water are cI = 2.10×103 J/(kg⋅°C) and cW = 4.19×103 J/(kg⋅°C), respectively, and the latent heat of fusion for water is Lf = 3.34×105 J/kg.

Enter an expression for the mass of ice you added, in terms of the defined quantities.

Homework Equations

Q=mL
Q=mcT

The Attempt at a Solution

I set this up and then solved for MI: mW(TW-Tf)CW - mI(Tf-TI)CI = (mW + MI)L
The program said that there were additional terms in the numerator and denominator, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
mI =

( mW ( TW - Tf ) cW - mW Lf )/( Lf + ( Tf - TI ) cI )|
Hi Matt.

The heat flow from the water changes the initial mass of ice in three stages, all of which have different heat capacities. You need to use the heat capacity of ice in bringing it to 0C then the latent heat of ice to melt it, and finally the heat capacity of liquid water when bringing it from 0C to Tf. They are all different.

AM

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, work, temperature, and energy in a system.

What does it mean to add ice to water in terms of thermodynamics?

Adding ice to water is a process that involves a change in the system's energy due to the transfer of heat between the ice and water.

What is latent heat in thermodynamics?

Latent heat is the amount of heat required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature. In the case of adding ice to water, latent heat refers to the energy needed to melt the ice and turn it into water.

How does adding ice to water affect the temperature of the system?

Adding ice to water causes the temperature of the system to decrease. This is because the ice absorbs heat from the water in order to melt, causing a decrease in the overall temperature of the system.

What happens to the latent heat during the process of adding ice to water?

The latent heat is used to melt the ice and turn it into water. This means that the latent heat does not contribute to a change in temperature in the system, but rather to a change in the state of the substance.