Question about two elastic collision formulas

In summary, the two equations are saying that the momentum and kinetic energies of the objects after the collision are the same, but the momentum of the system before the collision is different.
as2528
Homework Statement
Explain what is the difference between:
1/2m1v1i^2+1/2m2v2i^2=1/2m1v1f^2+1/2m2v2f^2=>1
m1v1i+mvv2i=m1v1f+m2v2f=>2
Relevant Equations
1/2m1v1i^2+1/2m2v2i^2=1/2m1v1f^2+1/2m2v2f^2
m1v1i+mvv2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
Equation 1 is equating the kinetic energies of the objects before and after the elastic collision. Equation 2 is equating the momentums of the objects after the elastic collision. They can be used interchangeably as long as the collision is elastic.

Am I right in my conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
as2528 said:
Equation 2 is equating the momentums of the objects after the elastic collision.
No, it does not say the objects have same momentum as each other after the collision. Is that what you meant?
as2528 said:
They can be used interchangeably
No, they are not interchangeable. They say different things.

Likes as2528
haruspex said:
No, it does not say the objects have same momentum as each other after the collision. Is that what you meant?

No, they are not interchangeable. They say different things.
No what I mean was equation one says the momentum of the system was the same. I should have worded it better. I also believed that they were interchangeable, but I learned that they give different answers unless it is a perfectly elastic collision, so I will redact that.

as2528 said:
I learned that they give different answers unless it is a perfectly elastic collision
Still not quite right. Neither by itself is enough to figure out what happens.
You can in general assume momentum is conserved - just check there are no impulses you have overlooked. But to be able to determine the subsequent motions you need more information. One possibility is that you have some reason to believe mechanical work is conserved; another is you may be told the objects coalesce, so you know the final velocities are the same; a third is you are told the maximum possible KE is lost; a fourth, you are given the coefficient of restitution.

In a one dimensional case in which mechanical work is conserved, there is a useful equation that can be obtained by combining momentum and work conservation laws: ##v_{1i}-v_{2i}=v_{2f}-v_{1f}##. Note that there is no mention of mass and no quadratic term.
As an exercise, derive that equation.

Likes as2528
haruspex said:
Still not quite right. Neither by itself is enough to figure out what happens.
You can in general assume momentum is conserved - just check there are no impulses you have overlooked. But to be able to determine the subsequent motions you need more information. One possibility is that you have some reason to believe mechanical work is conserved; another is you may be told the objects coalesce, so you know the final velocities are the same; a third is you are told the maximum possible KE is lost; a fourth, you are given the coefficient of restitution.

In a one dimensional case in which mechanical work is conserved, there is a useful equation that can be obtained by combining momentum and work conservation laws: ##v_{1i}-v_{2i}=v_{2f}-v_{1f}##. Note that there is no mention of mass and no quadratic term.
As an exercise, derive that equation.
Thanks! I do believe that equation was derived in lecture and in my textbook, I will try to read both more closely since I've clearly not fully understood what was being discussed. I have not heard the term coefficient of restitution, but I have heard of the coalescing of objects which I believe means perfectly inelastic collision. Inelastic collision I do feel comfortable with, but this elastic collision phenomenon is new to me as we covered it in lecture just today.

haruspex said:
mechanical work is conserved;
"Conserved" means same value before and after a process (or just a at two different times). It applies to state parameters like energy, momentum, angular momentum. Work is a process parameter and "conservation" does not apply to it. You don't have a work before the collision and another after the collision. The work is done during the collision.
Same as there is no conservation of heat (but it may be conservation of internal energy or thermal energy). Not that the work are heat are not conserved, it simply does not make sense to apply the term "conservation" to these quantities.
Maybe you mean conservation of kinetic energy.

Likes as2528 and haruspex
as2528 said:
the coalescing of objects which I believe means perfectly inelastic collision
It's an example of a perfectly inelastic collision. You can also have an oblique impact in which the bodies do not coalesce but the impact is as inelastic as it can be. In that case, the objects end up with the same velocity component in a particular direction, namely, the normal to the contact plane. You can see that in a head-on impact that does imply coalescence.

Likes as2528

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What are the two elastic collision formulas?

The two elastic collision formulas are the conservation of momentum formula and the conservation of kinetic energy formula. The conservation of momentum formula states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. The conservation of kinetic energy formula states that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

3. How do you calculate the total momentum in an elastic collision?

The total momentum in an elastic collision can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a two-object collision, the total momentum is the sum of the individual momentums of each object before and after the collision.

4. How do you calculate the total kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The total kinetic energy in an elastic collision can be calculated by multiplying half of the mass of an object by its velocity squared. In a two-object collision, the total kinetic energy is the sum of the individual kinetic energies of each object before and after the collision.

5. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other, while in an inelastic collision, the objects stick together or deform upon impact.