Question about work, energy and the work energy theorem.

In summary, the problem involves a mass placed on a frictionless ramp at a height h_1, then encountering a rough patch of ground with a length d and a coefficient of friction µ. After that, the mass encounters another frictionless ramp with a variable height h_2. To find h_2, we can equate the work done by friction to the change in gravitational potential energy. This accounts for the work done by gravity on both ramps. Therefore, the solution provided by the conversation is correct.
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

So a mass m is placed on a ramp at a height given by h_1. This portion of the trip is frictionless. Then, at the bottom of the ramp the mass encounters a rough patch of levelled ground with a µk given my µ. This strip has a length of size "d" meters. After traveling across this surface, the mass encounters yet again, another frictionless ramp. The question wants to know how far up the second ramp the ball will get. Call this variable h_2. There were no ø given for either of the two ramps.

Homework Equations

ΔE=W
GPE=mgh
KE=½mv^2
W+KE_1+GPE_1=KE_2+GPE_2+E_loss (due to friction)
KE_1=0
KE_2=0 (when it reaches it max height on the second hill)

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone could confirm this or explain why this is incorrect it would be very helpful.

Im thinking,
Since W=F*D and I know the only force acting against the ball is that of friction (negative work), can I equate that to ΔGPE?

So; -µmgd=mgh_2-mgh_1
-µd+h_1=h_2

But now that I think about it, would there also be work done by the x component of gravity when the ball is rolling down and up the first and second hills? If anyone could clarify this it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks correct to me.
Ethan_Tab said:
But now that I think about it, would there also be work done by the x component of gravity when the ball is rolling down and up the first and second hills?
Could you elaborate upon this? I am not entirely sure what you are confused about.

AlephNumbers said:
Your solution looks correct to me.

Could you elaborate upon this? I am not entirely sure what you are confused about.

Can I just assume all work done is that which the mass encountered when it slid across the rough patch of length "d" or do I have to count for the work done by gravity when the mass was on both ramps?

Ethan_Tab said:
-µmgd=mgh_2-mgh_1

It looks like you did account for it.

Gravity is a conservative force. The work done on the mass by the force of gravity is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the mass; W = ΔK

Likes Ethan_Tab
AlephNumbers said:
It looks like you did account for it.

Gravity is a conservative force. The work done on the mass by the force of gravity is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the mass; W = ΔK

Oh! I see! Thanks for the help :smile:.

What is work?

Work is a measure of the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force.

What are some examples of work?

Some examples of work include lifting a box, pushing a cart, and pedaling a bike. Any time a force is applied to an object and it moves, work is being done.

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its energy, either by increasing or decreasing its speed.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its energy, either by increasing or decreasing its speed. Additionally, the units for work and energy are the same (joules), further demonstrating their connection.