Question: Accelerating Universe = Net Positive Energy?

In summary, physicists have observed the cosmic radiation background and determined that the universe is flat or within the margin of error of being flat. This is due to the critical density of the universe, which is a combination of ordinary matter, dark matter, and dark energy. The discovery of dark energy, responsible for the increasing acceleration of the universe, brings the critical density from 0.3 to 1.0. However, there is still debate about the concept of a net zero energy and whether the positive energy of matter is canceled out by the negative energy of gravity. Some argue that the universe was initially flat during inflation, but has become more saddle-shaped over time. Others suggest that dark energy is creating more negative energy proportional to its positive acceleration
HappyMonster3000
Physicists have observed the cosmic radiation background to conclude that the universe is flat (or within the margin of error of being flat).

This means that the Universe contains the critical density needed to keep it flat, which is a mix of ordinary matter, dark matter and dark energy (I would imagine that other particles such as photons don't contribute to this density as they are massless).

The discovery of this "dark energy", responsible for accelerating the Universe at an increasing rate, brings the critical density from about 0.3 to 1.0. Through the equation E = mc2, we can see that empty space really has "mass" that curves spacetime.

However, dark energy has the same density. So, as the Universe expands and its "volume" increases, there is more dark energy. Since E = mc2, wouldn't that mean that as the universe expands, its mass expands. And wouldn't that mean that:

• The Universe is gaining energy?
But in order for the universe to be flat, there must be a net energy of 0 (or close enough to it, for any discrepancy to be explained by quantum fluctuations -and possible inflation). This means that the positive energy possessed by matter is canceled out by the negative energy of gravity. However:
  • If the Universe is expanding, and objects are getting further and further apart, that would mean that gravitational negative energy is decreasing while there's more dark energy to push it further apart. Wouldn't that imply that the positive accelerating energy of dark energy is increasing, while the negative energy of gravity is decreasing?
And:

• Is there therefore an increasing net positive amount of energy in the Universe (implying that energy is not conserved globally)?
Maybe the universe was just flat at the time of inflation (which we have observed to be flat), and its becoming more and more saddle shaped over time. Maybe the universe just started out as "net zero energy" but this changed once expansion started.

Or maybe, as more dark energy is being produced through expansion, it's creating more "negative energy mass" proportional to the amount of positive acceleration that it is producing?

However, if dark energy's "gravitational pull" is cancelling out its "positive expansion", then why is it still accelerating regardless.

Thanks for your replies!

Space news on Phys.org
HappyMonster3000 said:
in order for the universe to be flat, there must be a net energy of 0

Why do you think this?

PeterDonis said:
Why do you think this?

That was what my interpretation of it was after reading about it. From what we know the Universe is flat. As well, some love the idea of there being a net zero energy with the negative energy of gravity and the positive energy of acceleration cancelling each other out implies that nothing can rise from nothing, there's no need for a deity, it's beautiful etc...

What are your thoughts regarding this?

Perhaps it began in equal amounts -eg. during the plasma phase as seen in the CRB, but that changed?

HappyMonster3000 said:
That was what my interpretation of it was after reading about it.

Reading about it where? I strongly suspect it was not a textbook or a peer-reviewed paper.

HappyMonster3000 said:
From what we know the Universe is flat.

It is spatially flat (more precisely, it is spatially flat in a particular coordinate chart). But spacetime in the universe is not flat; it's curved.

HappyMonster3000 said:
some love the idea of there being a net zero energy with the negative energy of gravity and the positive energy of acceleration cancelling each other out

To begin with, this idea is not really physics, it's an interpretation of the physics, but not one that all cosmologists use, and it's not required by the physics anyway.

Also, you have mis-stated the idea. The idea is that the negative energy of gravity and the positive energy of all the matter and radiation in the universe cancel each other out. "Energy of acceleration", i.e., dark energy, isn't really included in this, as far as I can tell; the idea was originally invented as a description of a universe with no dark energy (back when cosmologists believed that there wasn't any, before we discovered that the expansion of the universe was accelerating), and I don't know that it is still a good interpretation when dark energy is added to the mix.

In any case, as the Carroll article I linked to explains, the notion of global energy conservation does not really work in GR. Local energy densities have physical meaning; but there's no real physical meaning in trying to muliply those densities by some large-scale volume to get a "total energy".

PeterDonis said:
Reading about it where? I strongly suspect it was not a textbook or a peer-reviewed paper.
It is spatially flat (more precisely, it is spatially flat in a particular coordinate chart). But spacetime in the universe is not flat; it's curved.
To begin with, this idea is not really physics, it's an interpretation of the physics, but not one that all cosmologists use, and it's not required by the physics anyway.

Also, you have mis-stated the idea. The idea is that the negative energy of gravity and the positive energy of all the matter and radiation in the universe cancel each other out. "Energy of acceleration", i.e., dark energy, isn't really included in this, as far as I can tell; the idea was originally invented as a description of a universe with no dark energy (back when cosmologists believed that there wasn't any, before we discovered that the expansion of the universe was accelerating), and I don't know that it is still a good interpretation when dark energy is added to the mix.

In any case, as the Carroll article I linked to explains, the notion of global energy conservation does not really work in GR. Local energy densities have physical meaning; but there's no real physical meaning in trying to muliply those densities by some large-scale volume to get a "total energy".

Thanks!

I now get that globally, the universe needs not to be conserved and it makes sense that the no net energy would be an outdated or pseudoscientific idea.

One question though: what does it mean that it is spatially flat?

HappyMonster3000 said:
what does it mean that it is spatially flat?

It means that the geometry of space is Euclidean as measured by "comoving" observers, which are observers to whom the universe looks homogeneous and isotropic. Whenever you see someone talking about how the universe is flat, that is what they mean.

1. What is the concept of an Accelerating Universe?

The concept of an Accelerating Universe is based on the observation that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, rather than slowing down as previously believed. This phenomenon is believed to be caused by a force known as dark energy, which is thought to make up around 70% of the total energy in the universe.

2. How does an Accelerating Universe relate to Net Positive Energy?

An Accelerating Universe is directly related to Net Positive Energy in the sense that the energy density of the universe must be positive for the expansion to accelerate. This means that the total energy in the universe, including matter and dark energy, must be greater than zero for the universe to continue expanding at an increasing rate.

3. How is Net Positive Energy calculated in the universe?

Calculating the Net Positive Energy in the universe is a complex process that involves measuring the total energy density of the universe and subtracting the energy from matter and radiation. The remaining energy is then classified as dark energy and is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the universe's expansion.

4. What implications does an Accelerating Universe with Net Positive Energy have for the future of the universe?

If the universe continues to expand at an accelerating rate, it is predicted that eventually all galaxies outside of our local group will be moving away from us faster than the speed of light. This would make it impossible for us to observe these galaxies, and the universe would become a dark and lonely place.

5. Are there any alternate theories to explain the Accelerating Universe and Net Positive Energy?

While the theory of dark energy is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe, there are alternative theories that propose different mechanisms for this phenomenon. Some of these theories suggest modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity, while others propose the existence of a new type of matter or energy that has not yet been discovered.