Question concerning a topology induced by a particular metric.

In summary, a topology induced by a particular metric is a way of defining open sets in a space based on a specific metric or distance function. This topology is different from other topologies because it is uniquely determined by the metric and allows for a more concrete understanding of the space. It can also induce more than one topology on a space, but if two metrics induce the same topology, they are topologically equivalent. This topology is closely related to continuity, as a function is continuous if and only if the pre-image of an open set is open in the induced topology.
jmjlt88
The question comes from the Munkres text, p. 133 #3.

Let Xn be a metric space with metric dn, for n ε Z+.

Part (a) defines a metric by the equation
ρ(x,y)=max{d1(x,y),...,dn(x,y)}.​

Then, the problem askes to show that ρ is a metric for the product space X1 x ... x Xn.

When I originally started the problem, after showing that ρ is indeed a metric, I went on to try to show that the topology on X1 x ... x Xn induced by ρ is the same as the product topology (or we can say the box topology since our product is finite and therefore the two topologies coincide) on X1 x ... x Xn. I am fairly confident that I showed the ρ-topology is finer than the product toplogy, but I am having issues proving the converse. It boils down the following inequality;
di(x,y)≤ρ(x,y)≤____di(x,y).​

If I can fill in the blank with some upperbound, then I believe that for each i,
Bdi(xi; ε/something) is a subset of Bρ(x;ε)​
.After re-reading the question, I believe all that Munkres wants me to do is show that ρ indeed defines a metric. But, I am curious about the topology ρ generates (Perhaps, it is finer and that's it). Thank you for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some weird things about your post:

jmjlt88 said:
The question comes from the Munkres text, p. 133 #3.

Let Xn be a metric space with metric dn, for n ε Z+.

Part (a) defines a metric by the equation
ρ(x,y)=max{d1(x,y),...,dn(x,y)}.​

But [itex]x,y\in X_1\times ...\times X_n[/itex], right? So how does [itex]d_1(x,y)[/itex] even make sense?

Then, the problem askes to show that ρ is a metric for the product space X1 x ... x Xn.

When I originally started the problem, after showing that ρ is indeed a metric, I went on to try to show that the topology on X1 x ... x Xn induced by ρ is the same as the product topology (or we can say the box topology since our product is finite and therefore the two topologies coincide) on X1 x ... x Xn. I am fairly confident that I showed the ρ-topology is finer than the product toplogy, but I am having issues proving the converse. It boils down the following inequality;
di(x,y)≤ρ(x,y)≤____di(x,y).​

Why would this inequality help (even it would even make sense)? The product topology is defined by open sets, not by a specific metric. It is true that two metric topologies are equal if the metrics satisfy some inequality. But here you don't know that the product topology comes from a metric, right??

Micro, that is a HUGE typo on my part.

Define
ρ(x,y)=max{d1(x1,y1), . . . , dn(xn,yn)}.​

In fact, the book does not have x and y in boldface, which it should.

I had no trouble proving ρ is metric (which I now know is all the exercise wanted). Unknowning, I continued. I let ∏Ui be a basis for the product topology on ∏Xi, where Ui is open in Xi for each i. Then, I let x be a point in ∏Ui. Since Ui is open in Xi and contains xi, we can find an εi-ball Bdi(xii) centered at the ith coordinate of x and contained in Ui. Let ε = min {ε1,...,εn}. Then, I showed for each i, Bρ(xi; ε) is a subset of Bdi(xii); which implies x is a point in Bρ(x;ε) which is a subset of ∏Ui. Hence, the ρ-topology is finer.

Edit: I now realize this is nonsense because ρ is defined for the product space. Major brain meltdown, sorry! :)

Last edited:
It really is true that the topology of [itex]\rho[/itex] is the product topology, but you seem to be confused by the notations.

Try to prove this:

[tex]B_\rho((x_1,...,x_n), \varepsilon) = B_{d_1}(x_1,\varepsilon) \times ...\times B_{d_n}(x_n,\varepsilon)[/tex]

Wow, that is tremendously easy and illustrating! :)

Thank you so much!

To show two topologies are the same, I keep trying to use the method of showing one is finer than the other and vice versa. But, I now see how easy it can be to simply show that their bases are the same. I think the text (Munkres) did that once, yet for some reason I have abandoned that approach. Thanks again Micro; you're are always extremely helpful!

jmjlt88 said:
Wow, that is tremendously easy and illustrating! :)

Thank you so much!

To show two topologies are the same, I keep trying to use the method of showing one is finer than the other and vice versa. But, I now see how easy it can be to simply show that their bases are the same. I think the text (Munkres) did that once, yet for some reason I have abandoned that approach. Thanks again Micro; you're are always extremely helpful!

This is a special case of course. You won't always be in the situation that the bases are the same. The usual technique of showing that one is finer that the other (and vice versa) works more generally.

Related to Question concerning a topology induced by a particular metric.

1. What is a topology induced by a particular metric?

A topology induced by a particular metric is a way of defining open sets in a space based on a specific metric or distance function. In this topology, a set is considered open if it contains all points within a certain distance from any point in the set. This distance is determined by the metric.

2. How is a topology induced by a particular metric different from other topologies?

A topology induced by a particular metric is different from other topologies because it is based on a specific metric, while other topologies may be defined by different criteria such as open sets, closed sets, or convergence of sequences. This topology is also uniquely determined by the metric, meaning that two different metrics will result in two different induced topologies.

3. What are the advantages of using a topology induced by a particular metric?

One advantage of using a topology induced by a particular metric is that it allows for a more concrete understanding of the space. The metric provides a way to measure distances between points, which can be helpful in visualizing the space. Additionally, this topology is often used in analysis and calculus, making it a useful tool for studying functions and their properties.

4. Can a metric induce more than one topology on a space?

Yes, a metric can induce more than one topology on a space. This is because there may be multiple ways to define open sets based on the metric, leading to different topologies. However, if two metrics induce the same topology, they are said to be topologically equivalent.

5. How is a topology induced by a particular metric related to continuity?

A topology induced by a particular metric is closely related to continuity. In fact, a function between two metric spaces is continuous if and only if it is continuous with respect to the topologies induced by the metrics. This means that a function is continuous if and only if the pre-image of an open set is open in the induced topology.