Question concerning fractal dimension Hausdorff Measures.

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the student has a question about the definition of Hausdorff measure in Frank Morgan's Geometric Measure Theory. They are confused about the use of \alpha_m instead of \alpha_n in the definition and ask if it should be changed. The expert explains that Hausdorff measure is used to assign a measure to an m-dimensional subset of Rn, which may not necessarily be covered by n-dimensional balls. Therefore, the use of \alpha_m is to account for the dimension of the balls used to cover the subset. The expert also clarifies that the closed unit ball in Rln(2)/ln(3) is equivalent to the Cantor set and the Lebesgue measure of this
blackfedora

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to work my way through Frank Morgan's Geometric Measure Theory and I had a quick question regarding his definition of Hausdorff measure. Which is:

Homework Equations

[tex]$\mathscr{H}^m(A) = \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \inf \left\{ \sum \alpha_m \left( \frac{diam(S_j)}{2}\right) ^m : A \subset \cup S_j \right\}$[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha_m[/tex] is the Lebesgue measure of a closed unit ball in Rm.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding was that we wanted to define Hausdorff measure because an m-dimensional Lebesgue measure is hard to assign to an m-dimensional subset of Rn. Should [tex]\alpha_m[/tex] actually be [tex]\alpha_n[/tex], since I thought we were covering the subset of Rn with n-dimensional closed balls? I'm asking this question because I'm attempting to show that the Hausdorff dimension of the Cantor set is ln(2)/ln(3) and I don't really know what a closed unit ball in Rln(2)/ln(3) would be, let alone Lebesgue measure it would have.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your question regarding Frank Morgan's definition of Hausdorff measure in his book Geometric Measure Theory. I can understand your confusion about the use of \alpha_m instead of \alpha_n in the definition. Let me explain this in more detail.

Firstly, the reason for defining Hausdorff measure is indeed to assign a measure to an m-dimensional subset of Rn. However, this subset may not necessarily be covered by n-dimensional balls. In fact, it may not even be possible to cover it with n-dimensional balls in a way that gives a meaningful measure. This is where the concept of Hausdorff measure comes in.

Hausdorff measure is defined using a covering of the subset A with m-dimensional balls, where the dimension m can be different from the dimension n of the ambient space Rn. This allows us to assign a measure to A even if it cannot be covered by n-dimensional balls.

Now, coming to the use of \alpha_m in the definition, it is indeed correct. The reason is that we are covering the subset A with m-dimensional balls, so we need to use the Lebesgue measure of an m-dimensional ball, denoted by \alpha_m. This is different from the Lebesgue measure of an n-dimensional ball, which is denoted by \alpha_n. So, in essence, the use of \alpha_m is to account for the dimension of the balls we are using to cover A.

I hope this clarifies your doubts regarding the definition of Hausdorff measure and the use of \alpha_m. As for your question about the Hausdorff dimension of the Cantor set, it can be shown that the closed unit ball in Rln(2)/ln(3) is equivalent to the Cantor set, so the Lebesgue measure of this ball would be equal to the Hausdorff measure of the Cantor set.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your studies!

1. What is fractal dimension?

Fractal dimension is a mathematical measure that quantifies the complexity and self-similarity of a geometric shape or pattern.

2. How is fractal dimension different from traditional dimensions?

Traditional dimensions, such as length, width, and height, are integer values that describe the size of an object in Euclidean space. Fractal dimension is a non-integer value that describes the complexity and detail of a fractal object.

3. What is the Hausdorff measure and how is it related to fractal dimension?

The Hausdorff measure is a mathematical tool used to calculate the size or extent of a fractal object. It is directly related to the fractal dimension, as the fractal dimension can be calculated from the Hausdorff measure.

4. How is fractal dimension used in scientific research?

Fractal dimension has applications in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, biology, geology, and engineering. It is used to analyze and describe complex natural phenomena, such as coastlines, mountain ranges, and biological structures.

5. Can fractal dimension be measured in real-world objects?

Yes, fractal dimension can be measured in real-world objects using various mathematical algorithms and computer software. However, the accuracy of these measurements may vary depending on the complexity and scale of the object being studied.