Question from Ashcroft/Mermin: electronic density eqn

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the integration bounds for energy (ε) in a physics course. The first equals sign involves a transformation to spherical coordinates, while the second equals sign raises questions about the possibility of negative energy values. The expert explains that for non-free particles, such as in the example of the hydrogen atom, negative energy values are possible. This is also the case for bound states in solids. The function g(ε) is mentioned, which is equal to 0 whenever ε < 0, suggesting that in some cases, negative energy values may not be considered. However, the expert explains that ε can take different forms depending on the potential the particle is in, and therefore, can be negative.
kayan
I'm taking a SS physics course and going through A&M and found something hard for me to understand. It is on page 44, starting with eqn 2.60. Another thread almost addressed my question, but I cannot post replies on the thread (click here).

I think I understand what is going on in the 1st equals sign (they are transforming to spherical coords', so the integral over k-space becomes an integral from 0 to infinity like when you integrate a sphere from r=0 to r=R). But my question is what happens during the 2nd equals sign? And further, why do the bounds on the integral over ε go from -∞ to +∞ when the expression for ε=(hk)2/2m, hence, how is it possible to even consider an ε<0 when the k in that expression is squared?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I notice in eqn 2.61 for g(ε) that for ε<0, g(ε)=0, hence, effectively eqn 2.60 becomes what makes sense (the integrand amounts to 0 for any ε<0), however, my question still remains about why it is even possible/physical to consider bounds of ε that are ε<0? If ε cannot be less than 0, it just seems weird to me to make an equation that explicitly states that, rather than just change the bounds of the integral in 2.60 to be from ε=0 to ε=∞.

Physics news on Phys.org
For non-free particles, E can become negative. Consider as an example the hydrogen atom where there is a set of discrete states with ## E=-Ry/n^2## besides the continuum of states with positive energy. Similarl bound states exist also in solids so it makes good sense to extend the integral to minus infinity.

DrDu said:
For non-free particles, E can become negative. Consider as an example the hydrogen atom where there is a set of discrete states with ## E=-Ry/n^2## besides the continuum of states with positive energy. Similarl bound states exist also in solids so it makes good sense to extend the integral to minus infinity.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess I was just confused because I'm still in the part of the book that is talking about the free electron gas, hence ε ∝ k^2 and cannot be negative. But you're saying that ε can take different forms than the expression I used, just depending on the potential the particle is in?

But if this is the case, that ε can be negative, then why is it the case that the the function g(ε) = 0 whenever ε < 0 ? In this case, its the same as if ε cannot be negative.

1. What is the electronic density equation?

The electronic density equation is a mathematical expression that describes the distribution of electrons in a material or system. It is often denoted as ρ(r), where r represents the position in space.

2. Who proposed the electronic density equation?

The electronic density equation was proposed by Sir John Ashcroft and N. David Mermin in their book "Solid State Physics" in 1976.

3. What factors influence the electronic density in a material?

The electronic density in a material is influenced by various factors such as the number of electrons, their energy levels, and the spatial arrangement of atoms in the material. Temperature and pressure can also affect the electronic density.

4. How is the electronic density equation used in research and experiments?

The electronic density equation is used in various research and experimental studies to understand the behavior and properties of materials. It is particularly useful in the field of condensed matter physics and materials science. Researchers can use the equation to predict the behavior of electrons in different materials and under different conditions.

5. Is the electronic density equation applicable to all materials?

The electronic density equation is applicable to a wide range of materials, including metals, insulators, semiconductors, and even gases. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of extremely complex or highly correlated materials, such as high-temperature superconductors.