Question in Bose-Einstein statistics

In summary, the number of ways to arrange ni particles in gi degenerate states in Bose statistics is equal to (gi+ni-1). The reason for dividing by ni factorial and gi factorial is because we are considering an ensemble of particles, and the formula given is incorrect. The correct formula is w_i= (N_i + g_i -1)!/(g_i !)(N_i-1)!, which can be seen as a variant of the Star and Bars problem in combinatorics. This is due to the fact that bosons are indistinguishable. The Wikipedia article and the book "An Introduction to Probability" by William Feller explain this concept in detail. The reason for multiplying is because each particle group can occupy any
patric44
Homework Statement
why the number of ways to arrange ni particles in gi degenerate states is = (gi+ni-1) ?
Relevant Equations
(gi+ni-1)
iam not getting why in bose statistics the number of ways to arrange ni particles in gi degenerate states is = (gi+ni-1) ?
and why do we divide by ni factorial , and gi factorial .
bose.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is wrong. The correct number of arrangements are:
##w_i= (N_i + g_i -1)!/(g_i !)(N_i-1)! ##
This can be seen in number of ways. It is variant of Star and barn problem of combinatorics since bosons are indistinguishable. Wikipedia article explains it in detail and also it's variant. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_bars_(combinatorics) .Alternatively,see the masterpiece book on probability: An introduction to Probability by William Feller,the person who devised this method. To answer why we multiply,it is because we are considering an ensemble of particles. A particular particle group can occupy any given state,another can occupy any given state(It may be same as 1st particle group since they are bosons).

What is Bose-Einstein statistics?

Bose-Einstein statistics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a large number of identical particles that follow quantum mechanics principles. It was developed by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein in the 1920s.

What type of particles follow Bose-Einstein statistics?

Bosons, which have integer spin, follow Bose-Einstein statistics. Examples of bosons include photons, gluons, and W and Z bosons.

What is the key difference between Bose-Einstein statistics and other statistical models?

The key difference is that Bose-Einstein statistics allows for particles to occupy the same quantum state, while other statistical models, such as Fermi-Dirac statistics, do not.

What is the significance of Bose-Einstein statistics in physics?

Bose-Einstein statistics is important in understanding the properties of matter at extremely low temperatures, such as in superconductors and superfluids. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum gases and the behavior of photons in lasers.

What is the Bose-Einstein condensate and how does it relate to Bose-Einstein statistics?

The Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter in which a large number of bosons occupy the same quantum state, resulting in a macroscopic wavefunction. This phenomenon is predicted by Bose-Einstein statistics and has been observed in experiments with ultracold atoms.