Question in Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar

In summary: This means that the wave function is orthogonal to all negative momentum states, since they have no contribution to the integral, and only the positive momentum states contribute.
wbphysics
Hi,
Im studying a book "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar.
Im in the fifth chapter, Simple Problems in One dimension.
In page 169 to 170,
the book says about the standard procedure for finding the fate of the incident wave packet.
But i don't understand why we are finding a(E)=<ψ_E/ψ_I> , ψ_E is a normalized eigenfunction of Hamiltonian and ψ_I is an incident wave packet.
More over, in page 170, Step2, Calculating a(E),
it says a part of integral vanishes since, ψ_I in k space is peaked around k=k_0 and is orthogonal to negative momentum states. (k_0=p_0/h bar)
So, please, if you have Shankar's book, help me please~T.T

Physics news on Phys.org
wbphysics said:
But i don't understand why we are finding a(E)=<ψ_E/ψ_I> , ψ_E is a normalized eigenfunction of Hamiltonian and ψ_I is an incident wave packet.
For ##{\phi_n}## forming a complete complete basis, we can write and wave function ##\psi## as
$$
\psi = \sum_n a_n \phi_n
$$
where the ##a_n## are complex coefficients given by
$$
a_n = \langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle
$$
In the present case, things are slightly different because the eigenstates are continuous, instead of discrete, but the approach is the same,
$$
\psi_I = \int a(E) \psi_E \, dE
$$
and, just as in the discrete case above, the function ##a(E)##, which plays the role of the coefficients ##a_n## is found using
$$
a(E) = \langle \psi_E | \psi_I \rangle
$$

wbphysics said:
More over, in page 170, Step2, Calculating a(E),
it says a part of integral vanishes since, ψ_I in k space is peaked around k=k_0 and is orthogonal to negative momentum states. (k_0=p_0/h bar)
##\psi_I## is an incident wave packet starting far to the left of the potential step and traveling to the right. Therefore, in its representation in momentum space, the wave function is only non-zero for positive momentum (otherwise, there would be a component moving to the left) and is chosen to be peaked at ##p_0##, which corresponds to the expectation value of its momentum.

Related to Question in Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale.

2. Who developed the principles of quantum mechanics?

The principles of quantum mechanics were developed by a number of scientists, including Max Planck, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and others. However, the most widely accepted formulation of quantum mechanics is the one developed by Paul Dirac and John von Neumann.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in several ways. One of the key differences is that classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probabilistic behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in technology such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and cryptography. Additionally, quantum mechanics is being studied for potential applications in quantum computing and quantum communication.